Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

dfsdghsdhsd is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

I use iNavx on an iPad 1 with the Bad Elf GPS add on.
I use the Scanstrut iPad case (Scanstrut iPad Case) to make it waterproof and i can use it in the cockpit in the rain. Very accurate and the charts are free.
The iPad case also makes it non-skid and shock absorbing so I can leave it on the chart table and it wont slide off even with the rail in the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have both an ipad, and an iphone. Both run either iNavX or MotionX.

I have found that InavX is the much better plotting software, and it has a lot more configurability than the other chart plotting software i have tried. Right now I have an Imux broadcasting all on my boats NMEA date (from raymarine instruments) the the Idevices. which allows me to control all the instruments onboard right from my ipad.

While motoring I often sling a hammock between the forestay and the mast and make course corrections with my iphone.

Next up is to try out the raymarine new apps... i haven't installed the new chartplotter (but it is sitting in my living room). So more information then.
Ladies and drunks, welcome to Sextant 9.0! Yeah baby!
dgasmd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-23-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I use a c-80 Chartplotter for main source of info as well as plot on paper charts

On my I Pad as backup and for information I have

Navionics- same as chart plotter
Winds and Tides
Marine Traffic- for AIS poisitions of vessels
Active Captain- for port/ marina information when traveling

When racing on our boat we use Iregatta hooked into Wifi NMEA interface

At night when anchored I set my android phone on app called Drag Queen

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-23-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Apparently Brookhouse is taking orders for the imux, but for some reason their website has it listed as not being sold.

Honestly though if I was going to redo this set up I would switch to Digital Yachts iAIS. It also acts as a wifi NEMA-0183 router, but adds an AIS reciever as part of the package. I wish they had a NEMA-2000/wifi/AIS reciever but I haven't been able to find one...

Honestly I can't say this is in any way a critical system, but it really is fun to play with. I keep having dreams of sitting at the dock and driving the boat from shore...... Just need a NMEA throttle controller and shifter.

Where it really is nice though is when rout planning and navigating downstairs. The iPad acts as a second chartplotter at a fraction of the cost of a 9" plotter, and has all the controls right there. And imbibed with free NOAA maps I find it is more useful than the raymarine chartplotter on deck.
dgasmd likes this.
Old 05-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I bought the Ipad2 when it first came out in Winter/Spring '11. Installed Charts and Tides as a backup gps to our installed Raymarine Chartplotter. It turns out that C&T has better resolution for close in detail, such as small coves and anchorages. I learned this when the compass for the installed plotter when belly up as we were leaving an unmarked cove in Maine last year. Ran below, fired her up and picked our way out. I also love the offline ActiveCaptain database on this app, with all icons superimposed over an actual chart. Its actually better than the online version.

We use Anchor Watch as an anchor alarm. The part that I love is that it will email my smartphone if the anchor drags while we are ashore. Of course, you need 3G service for it to do so.

The other major advantage of 3G service is weather downloads real time. Everything from multi-day grib files to weather buoy data to real time radar. We get a good signal several miles from shore.

Then, as mentioned above, it is a real multi-tasker. Email, netflix, pandora radio, games for kids, internet searches, etc.

Couldn't imagine not having it now.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-23-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna just upgrade HD on my old General Dynamics Itronix GoBook III...it's slow(Windows 7 doesn't help it much) but it's a sturdy " "bulletproof" military-issue laptop....waterproof, glow-in-dark keyboard, great wi-fi antenna....why not....I wish Ii had the one with built-in gps reciever though...On Ebay these are all fairly cheap these days...couple hundred bucks or so...but they cost you an me and "uncle Sam" $4000 each in 2003 baby...I'd like an ipad someday to be sure but this will be my back-up at least...

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-23-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

I've been experimenting with using iNavX on my iPad. Mostly so far so good though I do wish iNavX had options for showing split screen chart and data. I also wish there was a way to turn off the iPad screen without putting it to sleep.

I bought a RAM mount for attaching it to the pedestal guard - the one with a U bolt for mounting it to bike handlebars. The RAM mount works well and was not expensive. I also have a NMEA wifi interface but it's the Comar NMEA-2-WiFi instead of the more well known imux.
Old 05-23-2012

Aprisa SJ 28 is on a distinguished road

The only issue I have with an ipad for nav is the resolution when you are topside in the sun, you just can't see the screen!
Tl4814 likes this.
Old 05-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprisa SJ 28 View Post
The only issue I have with an ipad for nav is the resolution when you are topside in the sun, you just can't see the screen!
There are glareshield screen protectors that help. However, I don't really find it that hard to tilt it away from the sun. It also helps to go into Settings and turn the brightness to max. Although, the 10 hr battery becomes a 6 hour battery that way.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-23-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive case to use an iPad onboard, I just bought one from Trendy Digital.

http://trendydigital.com/

I forget where I saw the article but there was a comparison of several options up to triple digit prices and this got pretty good marks.

Its essentially a ziplock baggie, but it has some padding to help protect the iPad from bumps. With two zip lock seals and a fold over snap/velcro closure it should do a fine job of keeping the iPad dry. If you need to use the headset jack there are other options but since I don't need access to the jack for onboard use its not a big deal. I would like a solution that allowed the unit access to ships power though.

I was intially worried that the touch screen would be unresponsive through the plastic, especially since I already have an anti-glare cover on the unit itself. In use, this has not proven to be a problem, and the unit works just like the cover wasn't there.

I think its a pretty good investment to protect your iPad for use in the cockpit of a boat.

So far for app's I've just be using iReggata and Safari for access to weather sites. I may add a navigation app for a couple of distance races we have planned.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 05-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.