Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

I use Navionics on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, and have found it to be very handy. When I compare it to my Garmin charplotter they seem to agree most if the time. While the touch screen is handy for planning, and looking ahead on the charts, I certainly would not use it as my primary navigation tool. It is purely a back up to the Garmin with it's external antenna and hardwired power. The tablets are a bit too fragile! When the wind picks up or the weather gets bad, the tab goes away!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

We have Celestial nav gear, paper charts, MaxSea on 2 laptops with charts of the world, a SiTex 12" GPS, and an ipad with iNavX. We use the ipad the most. Entering a strange harbor we check all 3 electronic devices for channel markers and such and between all 3 it's still inaccurate but we get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure I would promote the Ipad as a primary navigation tool, but I wouldn't be without it any longer. We've had it for two seasons and it is the most used versatile device on the boat. We look up marina info, weather, radar, email and last night downloaded and watched a movie that we piped directly into the TV.

Glare is an issue, but I just made a discovery this weekend, while reading email in the cockpit. I'm accustom to having to remove polarized sunglasses to read the Raymarine chartplotter. Particularly from starboard. Bizzare. I decided to put them on as I was sitting and reading and suddenly could read the Ipad screen substantially better. I can't say if was some bio-rhythmic, stars aligned, lottery win, or if this really helps. I will test further.

As far as upgrading to new operating system version, I jumped to v5 last year and lost data. I am going to be very very very reluctant to go to v6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-24-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

I realize this is a very basic and maybe even dumb question, but bear with me here. Can you use the GPS feature on the iphone and iPad when no carrier signal is available? Is it still accurate? Is there any software available similar to navionics and such that can be used on a mac laptop? I gave up working with Windows when I threw it out the window a long time ago. What are my choices now to join the civilized sailing world?
Old 09-24-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
I realize this is a very basic and maybe even dumb question, but bear with me here. Can you use the GPS feature on the iphone and iPad when no carrier signal is available? Is it still accurate? Is there any software available similar to navionics and such that can be used on a mac laptop? I gave up working with Windows when I threw it out the window a long time ago. What are my choices now to join the civilized sailing world?
Hi dgasmd, the answer to all your questions is: yes. The GSP receiver is independent of the cell carrier signal (although the iThingys can use cell towers to refine the GPS location).

There are lots of iPhone and iPad apps available for charting, including Navionics and iNavx. Just be sure your iPad is the GPS version.

There is also software for the Mac computer. I don't run any so can't give you details, but a quick search will turn up the options.
Old 09-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Common question, so fret not. First, you must have a 3G capable iPad to have an internal GPS. That confuses people. It is just how they package the unit, with the two together. You do not need cell coverage, nor do you even need to sign up for the 3G service for the GPS receiver to work. If you do have a cell signal, the ipad will have a general idea where you are on the planet, which makes acquiring the appropriate GPS satellites faster, but once you have them, you're as good as any device.

If you do not have a 3G capable iPad, you can get either a plug-in gps receiver or Bluetooth receiver for it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-24-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I use it for Tides/Current planning with a great off line app called Navimatics. This app also includes all of the Active Captain data in an offline mode. I update once a month or so online. Actually the best use is to use it as a manual repository. I have a good 80% of my manuals stored on it and it is extremely handy. I am thinking about scanning the other paper manuals in so I can have that same access. I do keep the paper ones on board but they are buried deep deep in a locker.

I do have the view that using general purpose O/S's as the basis for a navigation system might not be wise. I prefer purpose built firmware that is built from the ground up for the use of navigation (Raymarine, Garmin, Simrad...). It's just me. I shutter to think that there are people out there solely dependent on a Windows based system to keep them alive. Apple IOS is somewhat better, but..., again that is just me. And... there is nothing like taking a pencil to a paper chart to set a coarse that was derived from the use of the ol' M1 Brain Housing Group.

-craig

Last edited by kellysails; 09-24-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As far as upgrading to new operating system version, I jumped to v5 last year and lost data. I am going to be very very very reluctant to go to v6.
There are some features in iOS6 that I like. If you back up to the cloud, you should have no problems. I updated my iPhone to 6 a few days ago and lost no contacts, apps or data at all and I use my phone for both personal and work data/contacts.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Minnie,

I updated my IPad 2 to OS6 this weekend with no issues. Back up to the cloud as well as to your I Tunes library. There appears to be an increase in speed. We will see if it lasts,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-24-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
I got EarthNC Marine Charts for my iPad. I like it better than Navionics or iNavX. It uses the digitized raster charts from NOAA and has a bunch of nice features.