Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

The data I lost when going to v5 were my Notes. I searched online and learned that wasn't uncommon and the backup logic was flawed. Once it determined that you had successfully finished the upgrade, it would backup the device again and write over the old backup of that file.

It wasn't life threatening. But, for example, I had a standard note for new boat guests in there that had addresses, phone numbers, what to bring, etc, that I would cut and paste into an email. It also had a daily journal of our cruise to Maine last year.

I will probably just print these out next time. Interestingly, I haven't even been prompted for the version upgrade yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road
Just so you know, you could go back and revert your iPad, just like an iPhone, to the last time you sync'ed it, get the notes or anything else lost in the upgrade and save it. Then go back and upgrade the OS again.
Old 09-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Just so you know, you could go back and revert your iPad, just like an iPhone, to the last time you sync'ed it, get the notes or anything else lost in the upgrade and save it. Then go back and upgrade the OS again.
Didn't work because after the upgrade worked, it re-synched and wrote over it. At the time, I read this was a problem. Perhaps they've fixed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-26-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Didn't work because after the upgrade worked, it re-synched and wrote over it. At the time, I read this was a problem. Perhaps they've fixed it.
I may very well be mistaken here as I don't have an iPad myself or have tried to do this with an iPad myself, but I believe it is doable. If you had sync'd the iPad to iTunes in the recent past prior to your update, there is a "copy" of the previous sync saved in iTunes with the date of the sync. That is how it works with the iPhone, which for all practical purposes has the same OS as the iPad.

I have done it with the phone in the following way. Go to the settings on the phone and find the place where to reset the phone to original settings. When you do that, it will erase everything. Obviously sync the phone prior to doing that to save everything. Once it is done, plug it onto the computer to do a sync and it will recognize the phone as "new". It will ask you if you want to use the last sync or if it is a new phone. You can pick the date of the last sync to sync it to, so then you choose a date prior to the upgrade. I am almost 100% sure that should work and there is nothing to loose so long as you sync it prior to messing with anything. Worst case you are going to loose 1-2 hr out of your life playing with it.
Old 09-27-2012
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprisa SJ 28 View Post
The only issue I have with an ipad for nav is the resolution when you are topside in the sun, you just can't see the screen!
Try taking off your polarized sunglasses

Rik
Old 09-28-2012

onboardsolutions is on a distinguished road

Check out yacht.com It is an Ipad app for all your needs including manuals and a clould base backup
Old 09-29-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road

We have basically all our manuals scanned and stored on the kindle or the iPad. As liveaboards we use the iPad a lot for many situations: email, reading news, timer, watching movies, trip planning etc. We have built a removable stainless steel mount for the helm where the device simply slides in. To protect it from water we use an aquapak bag (special iPad size). That works very well.

For navigation we would recommend iSailor. They use Transas charts. The chart display is quite nice and especially their licence policy is very user-friendly. What we like about it is the fact that once you have bought a chart you can use it on all your devices. We use it for trip planning mostly. When sailing we look at both Raymarine chart plotter and iSailor.

On passage we mostly use the Raymarine plotter, it is supplying the autopilot with waypoint data. This is also due to the fact that the iPad is used for all kinds of purposes, if it would be used to supply nav data to the autopilot you could not read a book on it at the same time (we think). But in tricky approaches we like to have the iPad mounted at the helm, directly visible.

And for weather check, we recommend our app WeatherTrack, a very accurate and reliable app according to many users. With mobile or WIFI network coverage you can download GRIB files, the files can be viewed offline as well. When offshore without mobile data you can transfer GRIB files from your SSB computer to WeatherTrack for viewing or use something like the Iridium Axcess device to use a sat phone to download GRIB files.

How about you check it out by yourself?

We would like to invite the members of this forum to try and use WeatherTrack, latest version 1.4.7 for free. Here are some codes. Each code can only be redeemed once. So, if somebody has already downloaded a code, just try the next one, the earlier, the better your chance to be lucky. First comes, first served:

XJXWWJE7R7LP
7MR37FWMWXEM
EHW7L97XEYNR
WXY66FNHKAAX
JL9M4YMLYN99

Just open the appstore app, scroll down to the end where you see a redeem button and enter the code.

IMPORTANT! Due to the size of the app a RELIABLE Wifi-connection is required.

It would be nice to get a feedback whenever you have a chance.

Daniela
Old 09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
......It would be nice to get a feedback whenever you have a chance.

Daniela
I've used weathertrack for over a year and like it. When sailing for any length of time or number of days, I always have the multiple day gribs for my area saved.

I like that I can set up a passage area and easily refresh the data when I have a 3G signal on the Ipad.

It would be more useful if it had more granular wind data around the coast. Your product is better for big picture planning, but when I want to know where the wind will be in the Bay or how far offshore I need to get to find 15 knots to make progress, I go to sailflow.com. Given that coastal cruisers are the largest population, I would think your app would be much more popular and useful with more granular coastal wind data.

Another for the suggestion box would be to have a drop down box, so I can pick a time slot, rather than have to scroll through them all to get where I'm interested in the series.

Finally, how do I get a grib file over the SSB into your app with only an Ipad? If you made that a one cable, one button operation, you would retire quickly.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-29-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you like it!
Quote:
Finally, how do I get a grib file over the SSB into your app with only an Ipad? If you made that a one cable, one button operation, you would retire quickly.
Unfortunately the iPad does not talk to the SSB, so that a one cable would not work. There is always a device needed in between. However, you could use your own board wifi and just download the files from your computer on your iPad. And there is an option for a wifi pactor modem, but there is no radio mail package for the iPad to communicate.

Quote:
It would be more useful if it had more granular wind data around the coast. Your product is better for big picture planning, but when I want to know where the wind will be in the Bay or how far offshore I need to get to find 15 knots to make progress, I go to sailflow.com. Given that coastal cruisers are the largest population, I would think your app would be much more popular and useful with more granular coastal wind data.
You are absolutely right and we would like to offer granular coastal wind data in a heartbeat. However, would you be willing to pay for this? Here is the problem. These special data are not given for free by the data provider - unlike NOAA. It seems any way that many iPhone/iPad users show the attitude to expect every app for free or at least for a very low budget price in the app store. We doubt that people are willing to pay for additional high quality data, what do you think?

If you would subscribe for instance to sailwx. com then you could also get high resolution data and regional models and you would be able to view the forecasts in WeatherTrack.

Quote:
Another for the suggestion box would be to have a drop down box, so I can pick a time slot, rather than have to scroll through them all to get where I'm interested in the series.
What do you mean by "to scroll through them all" - are you talking about the GRIB files? You do not need to scroll through them all. Just tap on the date to get a selection of all forecasts and simply choose the one your are interested in.

Or are you talking about the Weather Online section? The good news is we are currently exactly changing this design. You can check it right now.
Old 09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
.....there is an option for a wifi pactor modem, but there is no radio mail package for the iPad to communicate.
I have a pacor modem, but I doubt it is wifi capable. I will have to research. I do not have a wifi network aboard at all. If I needed to upgrade the pacor and it would communicate directly with the ipad, that would be great.

Quote:
You are absolutely right and we would like to offer granular coastal wind data in a heartbeat. However, would you be willing to pay for this? Here is the problem. These special data are not given for free by the data provider - unlike NOAA. It seems any way that many iPhone/iPad users show the attitude to expect every app for free or at least for a very low budget price in the app store. We doubt that people are willing to pay for additional high quality data, what do you think?
Didn't I pay something like $10 for your app? I don't get your point. I get sailflow.com for free.

Quote:
What do you mean by "to scroll through them all" - are you talking about the GRIB files? You do not need to scroll through them all. Just tap on the date to get a selection of all forecasts and simply choose the one your are interested in.
Once you open a file and, for example, enter the Wind section, you have to click the right or left carrot to move between times. I know it can be animated, but I often want to go straight to tomorrow morning, or often I want to jump ahead to see the overnight wind to pick an anchorage to sail to.

If I'm not mistaken (I'm not on the ipad right now), when you leave off on a particular time in one section and move to another, say from wind to waves, it opens on the time to last viewed, ie Wed 1800. Typically, I want to start from the beginning and I have to scroll back. A drop down box with all the days and times in each Grib would be great.

I would also love to see an app that could creatively superimpose wind and waves, without over cluttering the image. If you got current into it too, that's another retirement idea.

Jeanneau 54DS