Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have a pacor modem, but I doubt it is wifi capable. I will have to research. I do not have a wifi network aboard at all. If I needed to upgrade the pacor and it would communicate directly with the ipad, that would be great. .
This is a misunderstanding. There is a wifi option for the Pactor modem, but there is no software offering that talks radio mail. Certainly an exciting project, but also a very large one.

Quote:
Didn't I pay something like $10 for your app? I don't get your point. I get sailflow.com for free.
You are right, they offer a free subscription indeed.

I just requested a GRIB file from their web page (registration was required, received file per email), and opened it in WeatherTrack. You can do the same. Just go to the requested GRIB file in your email on your iPad, tap on the attachment and choose open in WeatherTrack. Now you should see the file.
Remember that you can open any GRIB file from any source in WeatherTrack.

Quote:
Once you open a file and, for example, enter the Wind section, you have to click the right or left carrot to move between times. I know it can be animated, but I often want to go straight to tomorrow morning, or often I want to jump ahead to see the overnight wind to pick an anchorage to sail to.
If I'm not mistaken (I'm not on the ipad right now), when you leave off on a particular time in one section and move to another, say from wind to waves, it opens on the time to last viewed, ie Wed 1800. Typically, I want to start from the beginning and I have to scroll back. A drop down box with all the days and times in each Grib would be great.
There is already a drop down box, please see pic attached. All you need to do is tap the date and select the time. Please note that if you have iOS 6 installed, there is a bug in iOS that prevents this to work. We have a workaround in the pipeline that should be in the app store soon.

Quote:
I would also love to see an app that could creatively superimpose wind and waves, without over cluttering the image. If you got current into it too, that's another retirement idea.
That is on our to do list already, takes a while though
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?-date.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
This is a misunderstanding. There is a wifi option for the Pactor modem, but there is no software offering that talks radio mail. Certainly an exciting project, but also a very large one.
Sorry to have misunderstood. Could you give it another go? My second best attempt at what you meant is having an onboard wifi, where a PC based laptop speaks with the pacor and the Ipad is somehow signed onto the same wifi network and speaks with the PC to get the grib?

Quote:
I just requested a GRIB file from their web page (registration was required, received file per email), and opened it in WeatherTrack. You can do the same. Just go to the requested GRIB file in your email on your iPad, tap on the attachment and choose open in WeatherTrack. Now you should see the file.
Tried it and was successful in uploading the info into WT. However, SF must extrapolate the actual data into more useful graphics. While not perfect, I usually find SF wind forecasting to be pretty darn good, although, last weekend it was unusually way off.

The big advantage of WT is being able to download and save the files, when I have a 3G signal, and review them at my leisure. If I'm coastal cruising, I typically have a good signal, with an exception in a few anchorages or when we've been off the Maine coast. If 3G is strong, I think SF still has the competitive advantage for near coast wind data and one would more likely just stay there to view it. I'm only sharing this to be helpful in your development thoughts. The coastal cruising community outnumbers the offshore community by many many multiples. I would want them as a customer base.

You asked about an annual subscription. I would consider paying one, if the graphic and coastal data were similar to SF and I could download and save the data like WT allows now, without having to bounce around sites. Get that SSB thing worked out and it would be easily sold. I would suggest a 3mo subscription, as most offshore trips are fairly contained, or many have only a 6 mo boating season and would buy two. Then offer a discounted annual subscription.

Quote:
There is already a drop down box, please see pic attached. All you need to do is tap the date and select the time. Please note that if you have iOS 6 installed, there is a bug in iOS that prevents this to work. We have a workaround in the pipeline that should be in the app store soon.
This is great and works fine for me, I haven't upgraded versions yet!! Not intuitive, like nearly all Ipad software is. Most drop down boxes have a graphic box around them, suggesting it is a button, and/or a carrot to the side. I would highly suggest the tweak.

Quote:
That is on our to do list already, takes a while though
Hope you can prove it was in development, because I'm filing a motion for royalties.....

Thanks for the feedback above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-01-2012

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback and your interesting thoughts.
Quote:
Sorry to have misunderstood. Could you give it another go?
Sure, no problem. There are several pactor modems on the market. We use for instance a PTC IIusb with a Bluetooth extension (we never use the USB port, we use Bluetooth, less interference). There is also the option to get an ethernet extension, this would allow WIFI devices to talk to the pactor via a WIFI access point. For example we use a cheap Netgear WIFI access point that has a 12v DC power input so we can use it without AC.

Still on one device one needs a Radiomail software package that talks to the PTC modem and the SSB, and there is currently only Windows software (e.g. Airmail) available, nothing for iOS or Mac to my knowledge.
Quote:
My second best attempt at what you meant is having an onboard wifi, where a PC based laptop speaks with the pacor and the Ipad is somehow signed onto the same wifi network and speaks with the PC to get the grib?
Yes, that is basically correct. To get the GRIB files we send a request using airmail on the laptop. The received files are saved on the laptop. Now we can connect the iPad via wifi to the laptop, go to the folder where the GRIB files are and open them in WeatherTrack. That's all. On Mac you could use the built-in web sharing to publish a folder containing all the attachments from Airmail, for example.
Quote:
The big advantage of WT is being able to download and save the files, when I have a 3G signal, and review them at my leisure. If I'm coastal cruising, I typically have a good signal, with an exception in a few anchorages or when we've been off the Maine coast. If 3G is strong, I think SF still has the competitive advantage for near coast wind data and one would more likely just stay there to view it.
There has been indeed a bias to spotty network coverage. - Let me ask you a question. If you sail near the coast and if you have a good 3G signal on your iPad, why would need an app? As you know most information are available online which you could easily access in your browser?

Quote:
I haven't upgraded versions yet!! Not intuitive, like nearly all Ipad software is.
Wise decision. Quite frankly, we did not update our iPad yet, preferred to wait, did just the iPhone (already causing enough trouble). But if you decide to update to iOS6 make sure the moment before you do the installation that you have a 100% complete true backup. If something happens, such as battery running out of juice, wifi connection collapses, or whatever Murphy's law has in mind, then you might have trouble and lose data.
Quote:
Most drop down boxes have a graphic box around them, suggesting it is a button, and/or a carrot to the side. I would highly suggest the tweak.
Very good point, thank you very much. Guess, we did not see the wood for the trees. You are right, you don't see that it is a button. - Changed design coming up soon!

Quote:
Hope you can prove it was in development, because I'm filing a motion for royalties.....
Unfortunately it's been out in the public for quite a while, but maybe we may invite you for a drink should we come across one day. ;-)
Old 10-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
Let me ask you a question. If you sail near the coast and if you have a good 3G signal on your iPad, why would need an app? As you know most information are available online which you could easily access in your browser?
I actually purchased your app when we cruised to Maine last year. We expected and would often find there was no 3G signal there and being able to save a couple of days ahead was very helpful.

A very frequent example is nearby. Despite there being a cell tower on top of Cuttyhunk island, reception in the harbor is very bad. This is a very common anchorage when heading up or down the coast, even for a weekend. Having wind data available can help decide tomorrow's anchorage or insure we are n a good spot to swing overnight.

Quote:
Unfortunately it's been out in the public for quite a while, but maybe we may invite you for a drink should we come across one day. ;-)
We have a deal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-03-2012

Quote:
We have a deal!
Sounds good!
Old 10-03-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

Raymarine E80 chartplotter at helm, and paper charts for reference, always. We use the Ipad down below or at home for planning, with Navionics, Active Captain, Ayetides. Comes in handy for checking the email etc... very happy to have it as one more tool while cruising.
Old 10-03-2012

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose

There may be a solution to radio mail called XGATE. They have built an IOS client. I will do a little more digging and see if that it also worx with a proctor / SSB as their mac client does.
XGate for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Old 10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchose View Post
There may be a solution to radio mail called XGATE. They have built an IOS client. I will do a little more digging and see if that it also worx with a proctor / SSB as their mac client does.
XGate for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
To my knowledge XGate is a software for satellite communication only, it does not speak the language that pactor modem needs: radiomail.
Old 10-06-2012

Weather4D is on a distinguished road

Yes, I confirm the application XGate can only be used for the communication by satellite (Iridium, Inmarsat etc....)

You will find some examples of use for iPad on the blog of Francis Fustier (Navigation Mac)

--Olivier Bouyssou
Old 10-17-2012

coupdemistral is on a distinguished road

iNavX Doesn't quite replace the chartploptter yet, but the portability is priceless. I found Flytomap to be pretty good for the Med (and inexpensive). Crowd-sourced sites like Squidd.io are great for cruise planning. You can't beat the wisdom of the entire sailing community when it comes to finding sailing destinations!