Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok so you guys pay roaming interntionally just to have your fone call you if your alarm goes off, which is an international call, at best,do you know how much that will cost you every time??? is not payiong attention woirth that extra fee each andf every time your alarm system thinks you drag anchor in foreign lands......and there is no verizon in mexico, or many other places that cruisers go. mebbe in usvi and puerto rico..
In the preferences you can configure it to send email or text message. So if you have internet access just send an email, no international call necessary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

lemme see if i have this right. you set this alarm when you are on the boat to warn you when the electronic device thinks you are dragging anchor. is that true?
or is it that you use it when you go to mayan ruins or out to dinner , or out to a wake or funeral or opera or carnival or merely to the grocery store?????
just trying to get this straight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2013
PegasusII

PegasusII is on a distinguished road

Is this an app that you can download onto an iphone/ipad or is it a web access only? I can not find Boat Monitor R at the app store on my iphone.

thanks...
Old 09-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusII View Post
Is this an app that you can download onto an iphone/ipad or is it a web access only? I can not find Boat Monitor R at the app store on my iphone.

thanks...
Here is the website for it. Try clicking on the link in the lower right corner.

Boat Monitor - Remote Boat Monitor and Alarm

However, I believe it now says it is not available in the US. Makes me wonder if it is a liability thing. While I'm a big fan of these apps, they are no substitute for proper technique, they just improve your odds.

While the App is still operational on both my iPhone and Ipad, it is no longer listed in my purchased Apps either.

Try Anchor Watch. I used that prior to Boat Monitor and also liked it. It only had email functionality and full circle protected ranges, but it was still good. You can't check from ashore to see exactly where your boat is either. It went through a couple of update mess ups, which sent me looking for another, but it was still pretty good.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lemme see if i have this right. you set this alarm when you are on the boat to warn you when the electronic device thinks you are dragging anchor. is that true?
or is it that you use it when you go to mayan ruins or out to dinner , or out to a wake or funeral or opera or carnival or merely to the grocery store?????
just trying to get this straight.
There is no substitute for properly setting your anchor and maintaining good watch. However, these apps clearly improve your odds. You have to sleep and you have to be out of sight eventually. For most of us, there is no cell coverage problem. If you're out of range, your only out of luck with shoreside communication. It will still wake you between evening watches, if you drag or if you want to be alerted that you have swung around. We've all gone to sleep on a blustery night that predicted a hard swing. We set a watch schedule to be sure we get up to confirm the anchor has reset. This device will alert you the moment you've swung and not rely on a schedule.

As for being ashore, one feature I love is being able to access the Ipad that I left aboard with my iPhone in my pocket. It will show me precisely where my boat is on a satellite image, along with a persistence line that shows where the boat has been swinging or dragging. Even if it has not gotten in trouble yet, I can see if she has swung around or is beginning to drag. That is an incredible relief. I suppose it will also tell you if someone stole the boat, or at least the iPad.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-28-2013

Also, if you have a walkie talkie with voice actived transmission, you can leave one next to the device aboard and bring the other. You can then hear the alarm go off from shore without needing cell coverage. In Voice mode, it will read out the bearing and distance from the anchor, rather than just sound an alarm. Seriously, this thing is pretty cool.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-28-2013
PegasusII

Thanks for the info. So it is web based and no longer a downloaded app. I signed up on the web site and will try it.
Old 09-28-2013

Sorry for the confusion. Their website has the link to the App Store in the lower right corner. If available to you, it should download to iTunes on your computer and then you would have to synch your device to install it.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-28-2013
PegasusII

You were clear Minnewaska and thanks again. I did try the link you pointed out but the app is no longer out there for downloading. I also tried just searching for the app at the app store and it is not found. The web site is accessible but the iPhone app is not out there.
Old 09-28-2013

I just tried it myself. It says its not available in the US Store. I wonder if there is a way to spoof into an international store, whatever that is.

Go get Anchor Watch instead for now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anch...389011510?mt=8

Jeanneau 54DS