SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/99160-boat-monitor-r-iphone-ipad-app.html)

Minnewaska 05-04-2013 08:26 PM

Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

First night out at anchor this season!

I'm sufficiently impressed with this app. I used to use Anchor Watch, but this one is ahead by a neck. I set it aboard on my ipad. It has the ability to set the anchor at a bearing and distance from the device, so you do not need to be at the bow, with the device, when you drop the anchor. It also has the ability to send you a text message, if you drift outside the protected zone that you established. Very cool.

But this was the neatest part. We took the dinghy in to see the Kentucky Derby and left my ipad running. At the bar, I opened the same app on my iPhone and it asked if I wanted to monitor the session already in progress. Naturally, I did!

There, on my iPhone screen was a pic of the harbor, with my boat location and its relative spot within the protected zone I established. It also showed me the tracking line from the last couple of hours, so I could see if she was drifting, even if not outside the alarm range yet. She was just slightly swinging on a 10 deg arc, as expected.

Of course, you need 3G service and two devices, but this was way cool. If your spouse has one too, you just leave one aboard.

saildork 05-04-2013 09:16 PM

Re: Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

So the name of the app is, 'Boat Monitor R?'

Minnewaska 05-04-2013 10:18 PM

Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

Yes. They have other suffixes. I do not understand the diff.

Magnolia 05-05-2013 08:00 AM

Thanks for this write-up Minnewaska. I am currently trying to decide what equipment to purchase for navigation, chart plotters, etc. I have a Dell laptop. Plus, I have a MacBook Air - that I love. So...I'm leaning towards getting an Ipad 3G or 4G and an IPhone. I have an Android now. Anyhoo, I appreciated reading how you are using your Apple products. It is helping to steer me towards going all Apple.

Minnewaska 05-05-2013 09:25 PM

Typical experience this morning. I almost never remember to shut the monitor off before weighing anchor. Previously, I would find emails when got home, after motorin outaidethe protected area. Now, with the text feature, my phone rang in my pocket at the helm. I looked and it said we were drifting. Very cool.

The good part is that I now know it works, even after the ipad goes to black screen.

brokesailor 05-06-2013 04:03 AM

Can't wait to give it a try!

PegasusII 09-27-2013 05:45 PM

I have a iphone using Verizon. I searched the apps store and could not find Boat Monitor R. The app sounds great. Any idea of why I would not find it? Is it only available via other mobile carriers?

steve77 09-27-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PegasusII (Post 1094932)
I have a iphone using Verizon. I searched the apps store and could not find Boat Monitor R. The app sounds great. Any idea of why I would not find it? Is it only available via other mobile carriers?

Boat Monitor - Remote Boat Monitor and Alarm

I have it on my iPhone and iPad. It shouldn't matter who your carrier is.

zeehag 09-27-2013 08:22 PM

ok so you guys pay roaming interntionally just to have your fone call you if your alarm goes off, which is an international call, at best,do you know how much that will cost you every time??? is not payiong attention woirth that extra fee each andf every time your alarm system thinks you drag anchor in foreign lands......and there is no verizon in mexico, or many other places that cruisers go. mebbe in usvi and puerto rico..

miatapaul 09-27-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1094974)
ok so you guys pay roaming interntionally just to have your fone call you if your alarm goes off, which is an international call, at best,do you know how much that will cost you every time??? is not payiong attention woirth that extra fee each andf every time your alarm system thinks you drag anchor in foreign lands......and there is no verizon in mexico, or many other places that cruisers go. mebbe in usvi and puerto rico..

Well it is not international for all of us, but I did get good signal for Verizon along the west coast of Mexico 5 years ago. I had to arrange for a temporary international plan but it was not much, like $25 or so. But if you don't have an international plan watch out. My boss at work went for a week conference in Costa Rica and got a 6,000 bill and that was without even using it. Just the phone sitting on the dresser and in the background checking for email. Ouch.