SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Garmin Blue Chart Mobile apps - hate to buy charts again (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/99478-garmin-blue-chart-mobile-apps-hate-buy-charts-again.html)

rockDAWG 05-13-2013 08:20 PM

Garmin Blue Chart Mobile apps - hate to buy charts again

It looks like their mobile app expects you to purchase Blue Chart again even you have paid previously for their chart plotter. Does anyone know this for sure?

HeartsContent 05-13-2013 09:03 PM

Re: Garmin Blue Chart Mobile apps - hate to buy charts again

It's a drawback to Garmin.

JimMcGee 05-13-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 1029632)
It looks like their mobile app expects you to purchase Blue Chart again even you have paid previously for their chart plotter. Does anyone know this for sure?

Seems odd for Garmin, I'd drop them an email through their tech support web page.

My experience is they're quick to respond.

LinekinBayCD 05-13-2013 09:55 PM

When most of their Blue Charts were sold on CD's I recall that you were limited to installing the charts to two units. I use their mobile app both on my IPhone and IPad. I paid for the app but don't remember paying for individual charts. What eve it was it was pretty cheap for what you get.

rockDAWG 05-14-2013 01:28 PM

Thanks Folks. I have contacted Garmin. Hope I will get an answer soon. The Blue Charts I purchased were $180 a piece. :(

Tim R. 05-14-2013 01:39 PM

Garmin Bluechart mobile charts are much cheaper. I paid about $45 for All of NA, CA, Caribbean and northern tip of SA. You can download the entire world for a few hundred bucks.

rockDAWG 05-14-2013 02:23 PM

I agree. I wss being cheap. :)

How does BlueChart Mobile work for navigation purpose? Can it be a viable backup chart-plotter?

Tim R. 05-14-2013 03:17 PM

I am still new to the app. I bought it to use for planning. I already have a backup CP but it may be nice to have in the cockpit to keep an eye on when I am off to the side of the primary CP. Of course you need the ipad with the GPS in it(cellular version). I think there may also be an aftermarket GPS you can connect to the charging port.

If you have wifi enabled NMEA 2000 network and a 4000 or higher CP, you can send waypoints and routes to your CP via wireless.

steve77 05-14-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 1030116)
I am still new to the app. I bought it to use for planning. I already have a backup CP but it may be nice to have in the cockpit to keep an eye on when I am off to the side of the primary CP. Of course you need the ipad with the GPS in it(cellular version). I think there may also be an aftermarket GPS you can connect to the charging port.

I believe both versions of the iPad have the GPS, the non-cellular (wifi-only) version just doesn't have a way to receive the signal from the satellite. I bought an external GPS unit from Bad Elf, looks like it will work very well. It can simultaneously connect to the iPad, iPhone, and my laptop via bluetooth.

Bad Elf - Bad Elf GPS Pro

Minnesail 05-14-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve77 (Post 1030137)
I believe both versions of the iPad have the GPS, the non-cellular (wifi-only) version just doesn't have a way to receive the signal from the satellite.

The non-3G iPad does NOT have a GPS receiver in it. On land it can approximate your location by triangulating WiFi signals. As you noted, you can add an external GPS receiver.

All 3G iPads have a GPS receiver in them.