Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-14-2013

alechich is on a distinguished road
another tank cleaning issue

I've read probably all the way posts on the subject but still don't have clear solution (no pun intended). I have a 1971 Pearson 30 with a 1991Yanmar 2gm20f which probably has the old A-4 tank still in it. I know there is crud on at least the bottom, problem is, no inspection port and narrow, deep fill port only. The tank looks fine so don't want to replace, plus it would be a bear to negotiate it out and in. Some have implied getting a service to do it under these conditions but putting out one last shot at maybe someone finding a new solution. I probably can't jiggle a rag on a stick too much so my options are limited.
Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Re: another tank cleaning issue

Install an inspection port. In a previous discussion "Cutting Access Hole in Stainless Steel Diesel Fuel Tank" there was some valuable info. As usual on the forum, there was probably a bunch of half-baked suggestions also. The trick is to devine the difference.
Old 11-14-2013

Thanks Hudson, you think this is better than just getting it cleaned, to hopefully last a few, five years? I will have to pay a pro to put one in in any case.
Old 11-14-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

On a side note. Back in my diesel/veggie conversion days for my truck I remember galvanized tanks being unsuitable for diesel. If the boats tank was originally for an Atomic there would be no way the tank was galvanized, would there? just wondering. Gotta be aluminum or ss right?
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 11-14-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

I would doubt that tank is stainless. On my 72 Catalina is was not anyway. Monel was a popular choice then. Mine looked good on top, but once I poked around it was obvious it needed replacing. I ended up cutting it in pieces with shears. That was no picnic for sure, but great to get it out.

Lots of help on the Moyer Marine forum as well.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519

Last edited by JoeLena; 11-14-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
I've read probably all the way posts on the subject but still don't have clear solution (no pun intended). I have a 1971 Pearson 30 with a 1991Yanmar 2gm20f which probably has the old A-4 tank still in it. I know there is crud on at least the bottom, problem is, no inspection port and narrow, deep fill port only. The tank looks fine so don't want to replace, plus it would be a bear to negotiate it out and in. Some have implied getting a service to do it under these conditions but putting out one last shot at maybe someone finding a new solution. I probably can't jiggle a rag on a stick too much so my options are limited.
Any help appreciated.
As was said, install a clean-out port. They sell ready made ones that are easy to install. You might also want to see my tank replacement web page. It has many photos of ours that sounds similar to yours.

Our page is at; Guenevere's Projects, Fuel tank replacement

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2013

Ok, thanks to all. Here's the thing, I love my boat but I've shed too much blood and tears on it already, not going to go through tank removal unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11-14-2013
Me at 61! (Studio Shot)

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
Ok, thanks to all. Here's the thing, I love my boat but I've shed too much blood and tears on it already, not going to go through tank removal unless absolutely necessary.
It IS necessary! (how do I know?) not a matter of if it will fail, but when.. and it will fail. Remove it and be done with it. "Looks ok" doesn't work either because the pin holes are nearly microscopic. Love your boat .. not your tank.

My boat is for sale.
Old 11-15-2013

ericirvine is on a distinguished road

I can't argue with the wisdom of installing a good sized inspection port, it's the best way to go. On my own boat, while my engine was out I simply removed the tank and used a pressure washer and degreaser to clean the tank out. Simply stuck pressure washer wand in every orifice and rinsed till no more stuff washed out. No problems since reinstall and 20+ hours on newly rebuilt engine.

HTH

Eric Irvine
Bristol 29.9
"Selkie"
Old 11-15-2013

Thanks Denise and Eric, I'm not planning on removing my engine and if that's necessary to remove the tank I'll try any other option. No one yet has commented on tank cleaning services. ? Also why would I think there are pinholes if there is no evidence of leaking fuel? As indicated, the tank looks fine of what I can see of it (it rests partly in a wooden box) so why should I assume there are pinholes? The aluminum (I think) looks strong and I don't see or smell any evidence of fuel. The engine doesn't seem to use any fuel, I could probably cross the pond by power on one tank. (;

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.