Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Winterizing for a night?

Hello all. Posted this on the Moyer Marine forum, but thought I would try here as well since more of you read Sailnet .

I've read thru most of the winterizing threads and they seem to be all about winterizing for the entire season. I'm on a fresh water lake near Atlanta and sail year round mostly. I'm concerned about the upcoming cold snap and protection for a couple of days. Forecast is for around 6 degrees, the coldest it has been so far during my short ownership.

What should I do for protection for a couple of nights? I plan on going back out next weekend. It's a Catalina 27 in a marina slip with no electricity it that matters.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Winterizing for a night?

In the water, you probably won't have a problem. Yes, the surface of the water, maybe an inch or two will freeze, but the water underneath is what will keep your boat insulated. Close any vents you have and most likely you will be fine.
Once, I went to my boat to winterize. It was a bitter cold night, maybe 15 degrees. I stepped inside the boat and the cabin was at least 20 degrees warmer and the engine room (I had a powerboat) was even warmer and it was due to the fact that the water was much warmer than the air.
Old 01-05-2014

Thank you Chuck. I guess I am worried about any water in the exhaust. I'm sure I could close the water intake and run for a second. I might even have a drain on the hot section I can open. I will check on that when I go up there today.
Old 01-05-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
Hello all. Posted this on the Moyer Marine forum, but thought I would try here as well since more of you read Sailnet .

I've read thru most of the winterizing threads and they seem to be all about winterizing for the entire season. I'm on a fresh water lake near Atlanta and sail year round mostly. I'm concerned about the upcoming cold snap and protection for a couple of days. Forecast is for around 6 degrees, the coldest it has been so far during my short ownership.

What should I do for protection for a couple of nights? I plan on going back out next weekend. It's a Catalina 27 in a marina slip with no electricity it that matters.
Hi JoeLena, I assume you mean 6 degrees Fahrenheit, which translates to about -14 Celsius. And I assume your boat is in the water. If this is just the low, and the daytime high will go up close to zero during the day, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. This won't produce a hard freeze. The things most at risk would be water pumps or small water/waste hoses. If you're worried you could drain the water out of the plumbing water lines, making sure the pumps are clear.

I really doubt your A-4 will be at risk. It will be below the water line, so reasonably well insulated. If you're really worried you could close the raw water intake seacock, and run the engine for 30 seconds to pump the water out of the raw water cooling system. Be careful doing this. You don't want to burn out the impeller, but you can safely run a cold engine for a minute or two without fear of damage.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-05-2014

It is indeed in the water. Daytime highs around 25F for 2 days.

Don't have to worry about any other plumbing, it is all drained and dry. I'll run for a few seconds with the intake closed.
Old 01-05-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is indeed in the water. Daytime highs around 25F for 2 days.

Don't have to worry about any other plumbing, it is all drained and dry. I'll run for a few seconds with the intake closed.
I really wouldn't worry too much about it then. That's not cold. We had-48C (-54F) up here a few days ago ... now THAT'S cold.
Old 01-05-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

If you are concerned, you could probably do a quick winterize. Not sure how your engine is set up, but with mine, all I do to winterize...close the raw water intake thru hull, open the strainer and pour in a couple gallons of AF while the engine is running. Shut down the engine and it's done.
My engine is FWC, so all I have to do is winterize the raw water side. If your engine is RWC, I would suggest taking out the T-stat before running AF thru the engine. Either way, it really is a quick and easy procedure.
Old 01-05-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The easier thing is to just stick a heater in the boat for a few days (assuming shore power). So long as the interior never drops below freezing you are fine as I understand it. But then I am south of you, so my info may be bad.
Old 01-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The easier thing is to just stick a heater in the boat for a few days (assuming shore power). So long as the interior never drops below freezing you are fine as I understand it. But then I am south of you, so my info may be bad.
No shore power.
Old 01-05-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No shore power.
Really, really long extension cord