SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

help, marsolve no longer available??

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GordMay 
#1 ·
My exhaust is plugged, years ago I purchased a product called "Marsolve" and circulated it through the system and it cleaned it up well.

It needs it again, and marsolve is no longer available, what do you folks all use??
thanks
Joe

#2 ·
A dilute solution of muriatic acid will work too, using it in the same way as you used Marsolve but being a little more careful with the splashes. I think this is discussed at moyermarine.com.

You shouldn't have to do this very often. Is your thermostat running the engine too hot? That causes minerals in seawater to precipitate into the engine block, making the engine run even hotter, making the cycle repeat itself.

#4 ·
According to their MSDS online at http://www.marsolve.com/Marsmsdsnew.htm

it is proprietary magic chemicals including "hydrogen chloride aqeuos" and something caustic. In other words, hydrochloric acid aka muriatic acid. You can buy muriatic acid at any masonry supply (and often hidden in the masonry section at Home Depot and such, only the professional brick-and-stone guys know where it is) and it is used for dissolving stubborn calcium buildups and such.

More aggressive than citric aid but readily available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.