SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Water Pump Rebuild/Replacement/Spare (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/24511-water-pump-rebuild-replacement-spare.html)

Jim H 10-29-2006 11:43 AM

Water Pump Rebuild/Replacement/Spare

We were very excited about doing another overnight cruise in our C&C 27 this weekend, but when I went out to prep the boat on Thursday night I made the mistake of checking the water pump. I noticed water beneath it on our last sail, and sure enough there was a fair bit of water coming out of its "weep hole" as I ran the engine, and more at higher revs.

In the dark that night, I removed and inspected the pump without losing mission critical bolts into the bilge. I had two extra shafts and with mounted impellors, so I installed one and put it back in place. The result was that it leaked even more.

Wanting to cruise, I contacted Moyer Marine on Friday and had them overnight ($$$) one of their improved water pumps (no grease cup, easy impellor access) and a rebuild kit for the old one (to rebuild and keep as a spare onboard).

Saturday morning, the pump and rebuild kit shows at 11:15, but I finally notice that the right angle connectors for the in/out hoses don't come with the new pump. I would have to remove and switch over the old ones. So much for my "slap it in and sail in an hour" plan.

I went to the boat and pulled the old pump. As feared, the right angle hose connectors appear "one" with the pump and won't budge. Drive to local marine engine shop for new ones, but they are closed. Drive to brother's house, and he helps me rebuild the old pump (knocking out old internal seals, putting in new ones).

In the end, I have my rebuilt pump in and running fine. We did a two hour sail, and the pump is perfectly dry and pushing more water than ever through the system. The new pump is untouched, but I think I'll locate the right angles and keep it as a brand-new spare on the boat.

Moral of story: it's hard to think about all the needed parts in advance, and having a spare pump aboard for "at sea" repairs might be meaningless if you can't get everything switched over.

Next adventure: the fuel pump. Again, I think I'll order the new and improved model from Moyer, along with a rebuild kit for the old one for a spare.

Jim H

p.s. the pain of being crushed under the lazarette to access the pump was getting pretty extreme when I finished. I finally got smart enough to cram towels around the block to prevent tools or bolts from accidentally sliding into the bilge, and I should have had more padding under my shoulder that I kinda crushed when I had to use both hands on the job.

Vasco 10-29-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim H

Moral of story: it's hard to think about all the needed parts in advance, and having a spare pump aboard for "at sea" repairs might be meaningless if you can't get everything switched over.

Next adventure: the fuel pump. Again, I think I'll order the new and improved model from Moyer, along with a rebuild kit for the old one for a spare.

Jim H,

What some do with spares is to install the new "spare" and keep the old one as a spare. This way you'll know it fits. I went away for a year thinking I had a spare impeller for my GM30F. Luckily the impeller held out because when I got home and had cooling problems I found out the spare I had was for a North American GM30F and my European model took a slightly different impeller!

Jim H 10-29-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco
Jim H,

What some do with spares is to install the new "spare" and keep the old one as a spare. This way you'll know it fits.

I think this is good advice, since "new parts" may be a surprise when you go to use them (as you almost found out).

I just looked on Moyer Marine, and then have the right angles for my new water pump (one is pretty specialized). I'll order them, and then next year (after my shoulder is recovered), I'll install the new pump and move the rebuilt one to reserve.

I think I'll start a second thread about fuel pumps.

Jim H

bob1956 04-19-2007 11:15 PM

Jim, my pump has a grease cup... What kind of grease do you use, and how do you load the rease cup, just unscrew it and fill?
how often do you turn the grese cup? Thanks in advance.