Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2008

olysailor is on a distinguished road
High RPM = slipping out of forward???

Ok I have a Ranger 33 1976 when I motor and get the A4 up to 2200 rpms sometimes the tranny or something slips and the engine just reves up. I don't know what the heck is going on and she goes back into gear and runs fine at low rpms. I have a max prop that folds is the prop or the tranny in need of adjustment? Also at times when this happens the bilge fills up very worried about this however it does not happen all the time. Another question is how many qts of oil fill the motor. please help olysailor ,wa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
The same thing happened on an A4 boat I sailed last year. It's like anything mechanical - it could be that it only needs an adjustment, or it could need a major repair. Last year, it just needed an adjustment. If so, it shouldn't need any parts and it shouldn't take any more than an hour. I didn't actually do the adjustment, but I've heard it described, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Another A4 owner might be able to tell you how to DIY.
Old 01-09-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
It's an adjustment and it's easy to do. I had an A4 in my Pearson Triton. Here's my description of the process from my old website:

Please reference this image for adjustment description below:

The reversing gear on the Atomic 4, what many refer to as the transmission, is easily
adjusted. However, despite the appearance of an easy job, I was intimidated by the
prospect and put it off far too long. The reversing gear is prone to becoming
mal-adjusted over time and can make engaging either gear or staying in gear difficult.
In my case, it was very difficult to engage the forward gear and impossible to fully
engage reverse. It got to the point that I wouldn't take the boat out on breezy days as I
could not rely on motor power for docking.

To remedy that, I read as much as I could on the procedure. It is really very easy. You
will need only a few tools:

1/2" wrench
3/4" wrench
Large flathead screwdriver
Gasket (available from Moyer Marine HERE)
Permaflex gasket sealant

Before removing the cover plate, put the motor in neutral. You should be able to rotate
the shaft at the coupling by hand. Once that is done, remove the cover plate.

The plate for the reversing gear cover is held in place with four half inch bolts, which
are easily removed. Once the bolts are removed, the plate slides right off. When the
plate is removed, you should see the assembly in the photo above.

The shaft should be spun so the lockscrew is positioned at the 12 o'clock position and
visible as illustrated in the above photo. The lock screw and the adjusting collar (which
is the gear the lockscrew secures) adjust the forward gear. The reverse adjusting screw
adjusts, you guessed it, the reverse gear.

FORWARD ADJUSTMENT:
Adjust the forward gear first. This is adjusted by manipulating the adjusting collar. If the
collar is moved to the right, it will tighten it. So, if your forward gear slips while engaged
- which is common - you would move the collar to the right.

To move the collar, back out the lockscrew until it no longer engages the gear. IT IS
CRITICALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE LOCKSCREW FULLY.
If it falls into the oil beneath the assembly, you're in for a long afternoon. Once the
lockscrew is backed out, the collar will be able to move by hand. If it sticks a bit at first,
apply steady, controlled pressure. You need to be able to monitor how much you adjust
it. It typically requires only a notch or two to be sufficient.

When the collar is adjusted, simply back the lockscrew back down. It is important to be
sure it fits securely into the teeth of the adjusting collar. Also, do not over-tighten the
lockscrew.

REVERSE ADJUSTMENT:
The procedure for adjusting the reverse gear is equally straightforward. The gear is
adjusted by a 3/4" inch bolt called the reverse adjusting screw, again see above photo.
If you are slipping in reverse, tighten the bolt; if you cannot engage reverse fully,
loosen the bolt slightly. Do not overtighten the bolt as the retaining plate can break.

Test your adjustments by engaging forward and reverse with your shift lever. The
forward gear should engage firmly after passing through it's detente. The reverse gear
does not have a detente, so just go by feel. You should be able to push your gear shift
fully into the reverse position. If you cannot, then you need to readjust.

After this, simply replace your gasket if needed and reinstall the cover plate.

TIP: You may want to go ahead and change your oil while the cover plate is off. The Atomic 4
is designed so the engine and the reversing gear share the same oil. Simply pump the oil out of
the easily reached bottom of the reversing gear assembly. Not only is this far easier than sucking
it out of the oil level tube, you can usually get more oil as you can reach lower into the assembly
than the oil level tube will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Adjust the forward gear first. This is adjusted by manipulating the adjusting collar. If the
collar is moved to the right, it will tighten it. So, if your forward gear slips while engaged
To move the collar, back out the lockscrew until it no longer engages the gear

its like dippity do, A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YA.
Turn it no more than 1/4 turn at a time. I think you'll find a 1/8, or 1/16th (5 minutes on a clock) will make it all better for you.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-17-2008

nlavoie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up A4 slipping

I thought I had a tranny problem too. I could not get more than 3 knots out of her - it sounded like she went into neutral at higher revs.
The problem was that there were barnacles on the prop! It doesn't take too many of them to cause a disruption in the water flow.
Get down into the water and check it out. I just scraped them off and added some lanolin to help prevent new ones. It worked like a dream.

I hope this simple solution works for you too.
Norm
Old 02-18-2008

olysailor is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone for your help

I had the bottom cleaned and there were muscles on the prop. I went out this weekend and the motor ran fine no slipping... Also the water was coming from my stuffing box which was an easy fix it just needed tightened..
Old 02-20-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Good deal!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by olysailor View Post
I had the bottom cleaned and there were muscles on the prop. I went out this weekend and the motor ran fine no slipping... Also the water was coming from my stuffing box which was an easy fix it just needed tightened..
Tightening the stuffing box is fine short term, too tight and you'll groove your shaft. While out of the water you should always plan on repacking the gland.
Old 03-01-2008

NorfolkRagbagger is on a distinguished road
A Little Dab Will Do Ya & More!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
To move the collar, back out the lockscrew until it no longer engages the gear

its like dippity do, A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YA.
Turn it no more than 1/4 turn at a time. I think you'll find a 1/8, or 1/16th (5 minutes on a clock) will make it all better for you.
I strongly encourage not adjusting the adjusting collar no more than ONE NOTCH per adjustment. One notch is a serious adjustment. Also, maintain a counterpressure on the notched ring with a second screwdriver to keep the adjusting ring from going "zinnnnnngggg" when it starts to rotate. If it suddenly loosens and spins, all you can do then is guess where it WAS and make additional adjustments 'till it's right.

It's very simple to do, I learned the method from a video available from Moyer Marine (moyermarinedotcom) (3rd item down on videos and DVD'S PAGE) and I was thrilled with the results. Sorry I can't link - I haven't made 10 posts yet to legitimize my postings.

Last edited by NorfolkRagbagger; 03-01-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2008

ows1id is on a distinguished road
If you are going to rotate the collar be careful not to let the locking screw fall into the tranny. It is hard to fish out