Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2008

jarcher is on a distinguished road
How much for an Atomic 4?

Hi All...

If I had an Atomic 4 that I wanted to replace with another or a rebuilt, what would I expect to pay for the engine and installation? I am thinking of buying a cal 29 but the engine is suspect so I am trying to figure out the worse case scenario costwise...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2008

gramcko is on a distinguished road
Gas on a sailboat is an unnecessary risk, go diesel, less headache, less hazard. Installation will cost about the same.

If you can afford somewhat more, and don't mind being the first on your block, and it fits your boating style, consider electric. Takes a lot less space, ultra quiet, but doesn't have the stamina of diesel.
Old 07-31-2008
Dream On

dhm001 is on a distinguished road
Good replacement for an atomic 4 is the small diesel engine Beta 20 from Beta Marine. Should fit right into the same spot. I haven’t done mine yet, but when I’m ready that will be the ticket.

Check them out they have local dealers everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2008

morgan5152 is on a distinguished road
Moyer marine sells Atomic rebuilts for around $4500 or they will rebuild yours. Lots of info in the forum part of thier website.
Old 07-31-2008

Sweat is on a distinguished road
Angry Atomic 4- MOYER

An experience sailor I know bought a rebuilt (??? supposedly) Atomic 4 from MOYER. While the initial cost was low (compared to a name brand diesel), he spent 'a bunch' getting MOYER's motor to perform. For a motor that is supposed to be so simple, he really had trouble finding mechanics who could keep in running properly. He had some horror stories.
Old 08-01-2008

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, this is very helpfull.
Old 08-01-2008

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Jarcher, I'm afraid the above posters gave you some bad information. Atomic 4's are always subject to debate. especially by those who have never owned one. A late model (post 1970) A-4 in running condition goes for around $1500. Rebuilt ones are higher. My 1976 model served me well for 20 years. I had it rebuilt in 2001 and it still runs strong to this day. These engines are pretty simple, low compression, and designed for a marine environment. The direct drive models have a reversing gear for a transmission which is built like a tank.
Some would have you believe that these engines are dangerous. Simple precautions that every power boater routinely takes with an inboard gas engine are pretty easy to do.

My advice- look for a running take out of an A-4 from the Great Lakes. Buy a rebuilt carb as a spare (easy to install) and you are good to go. Change the gas filter annually and the oil at the end of the season and the beginning of the season and the engine will last for a long time. Of course you can repower with a Beta diesel for 8-9,000 installed which is a large part of the boat cost of a Cal 29. Or electric- just don't take any long trips. These guys are all nuts who really don't understand the economics of owning an old sailboat.
Old 08-02-2008

jarod is on a distinguished road
I second Sandusky's opinion. The A4 has been a great engine in my boat and everything I have heard and experienced regarding Don Moyer is good. I believe he stands behind his rebuilds and parts. If you can't find a good used running A4 you might want to have Don rebuild yours or buy one of his rebuilds. If you want to go cheap but reliable slap a four stroke 9.9 on there. It will look awkward, but they do have there benefits. Unless the boat is going to be a lifetime boat for you I wouldn't suggest a diesel repower. The safety argument against gas is silly to my way of thinking as most of those that argue against it carry dinghy gas or propane aboard. To my knowledge no one has ever died as a result of an exploding Atomic 4, use your head and the gas will never be a problem.
Old 08-02-2008

billangiep is on a distinguished road
A buddy of mine just replace his good running A4 with a Yanmar diesel . The A4 was rebuilt 5 yrs. ago and had electronic ignition installed. Probably has about 700 hrs. or so on it. I would bet he is willing to let it go cheap,cheap just to get it out of his garage. Guessing around $500, location FL.
Bill,
Old 08-02-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm an A4 believer.
They are dumb struck stupid (simple) little flathead motors that will run forever with very little care. (change the oil, keep the fuel clean, a coil every couple of years, file the points, and go sailing!)

before you consider replacing or rebuilding, have it checked out. Unless something is going clank-clank internally, It can be fixed to run reliably for years.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.