Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Will running cold cause engine damage?

Without getting into a long story, my A4 is running without a thermostat (the PO took it out and the intake from the water pump to the thermostat housing is blocked). The engine used to run hot, but after a flush it has run progressively cooler from about 140 down to around 100 now. I have replaced both the sending unit and the temp gauge, both of which are operating correctly. the water here in Puget Sound is still cold these days, but the engine stays at 100 or 110 degrees. My question: other than fouling the plugs more quickly and getting less than optimum fuel mileage, will low operating temps hurt the engine long term?
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It will use a lot more fuel too... and it won't be able to burn off the carbon deposits or moisture—which will cause serious maintenance problems in the long term. You're better off restoring the thermostat and fixing the problems than using it with the systems mickey-moused...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I'm just concerned that I'll mess with the system and it will start running hot again!
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 04-14-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
It's an awfully simple cooling system, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it ever runs hot again you can install the manual thermostat bypass valve that Universal actually recommended for these engines. You can get a look at one here at the Moyer Marine Atomic 4 site. You can get all the parts at your local hardware store, but this gives a good picture of what it looks like installed.

I put one on my boat because I have the opposite problem and run a bit hot. I have yet to flush the cooling system, but it's on my list of things to do for this spring.

Good luck!

Monrovia, MD
Old 05-10-2009

Piratesoul is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue as nightowle and I have the the manual bypass valve installed. The PO removed the thermostat. I once opened the bypass valve and forgot to close it. On my next sail the engine shot up to 200F. I wonder if I should just use that valve occasionally to run the engine hotter to get rid of deposits and moisture? What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The proper temp is 135-150F. Hotter than that and you will get scaling in the engine passages. Lower and you get engine deposits and other problems. If necessary, adjust the manual bypass valve to get the watre temp within that range. The Universal 140F thermostat seems to have problems working effectively without a little resistance in the recirculation line.
Old 05-10-2009

Piratesoul is on a distinguished road
Thanks JimsCal, great idea!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.