Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-02-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
darn seacock

Got my Bomb running! before i run it too long, i need to ensure the seacock for the h20 is open, and am having trouble finding it. im following the pipe from the h20 pump, but it appears bigger then the schematic indicates it should be.... bout 5/8' v 3/8. i think its the right one, and is fit to a handle (like on a sprinkler) that is fit through the bottom of the hull. does anyone know if that is typical/standard placement for said seacock? im getting some exhaust in the engine compartment and am wondering if its blowback cause this valve is closesd? otherwise im gonna have to start checking the manifold/exhaust i would imagine. the exhaust, though, may just be excess marvel burning off, but i wont run the engine long enough to tell w/o that seacock situation resolved.....
any thoughts much appreciated.

thanks
Quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
That sounds right for an old-style gate valve -- they look like an outdoor hose faucet handle, unlike the 90-degree-turning ballcock valves in the modern through-hulls.

Make sure it's open all the way (takes quite a few turns) and then start the engine. If you have to crank the engine for more than a few seconds to start it, keep the valve closed until the engine gets running, otherwise you can flood the engine with water. Please listen to what I am saying: if you do flood the cylinders (and it can happen within fifteen seconds of cranking) you will have to go through at least three oil changes to get the water-infused oil out of the system. And I mean three oil changes one right after another at one sitting.

If your engine is starting right up, then open the valve first. Otherwise, wait until it starts running, then open it as quickly as possible.

Your smoke probably is the excess Marvell burning off, but you'll know for sure once you get her running with the water flowing properly. Do be sure to check that the water is coming out of the exhaust once everything is running and open.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 12-02-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
thank you very much, exactly what i needed to know. now, how would i be able to tell if i already created the floodwater situation during the fixing and firing? when i first got her goin i did have to crank her for 10-15 sec a pop...

if she is flooded, i imagine she wouldnt start?

now im getting worried!! lol
thanks again

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-02-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
If she is flooded you hope it does not even turn over as that gives you a chance to drain the water out before breaking something. Trying to start it without the valve open can be a problem too as the impellers like a little lube...but I do not mind changing an impeller so have done that with a troublesome engine. I Just opened it when it fires, impeller was fine but I doubt that would always be the case.
Old 03-10-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
Does it look like this? Thats the raw water input on my pearson 10m..I dont like the looks of it...I am going to replace when I get the boat on land..
raw engine water
Old 05-06-2010
Justa

Location: Strasburg, Virginia (I need more work near the 'Neck')
seaspot is on a distinguished road
I'd put replacing your seacocks on your list of things to do in the future. Those old style gate valves are not exactly optimum for this application.