Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-10-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
plug blues

I have an atomic 4 in my pearson 10m , 1974

spark plug is rusted in cyl #1, engine runs but plug hasnt been changed for 3 years. Now that its my boat, I'd like to fix that.. I tried wd 40..afraid to break it off..

how do I know if I have a direct drive or v drive? where can I read up on these?

I'd like to try and change the impeller as well..I think I need more than wd 40..
Photobucket
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Try Power Blast aka PB Blaster. Spray the offending area, tap it a few times with a hammer, and let sit. Repeat several times a day if possible for a week, then try removing the plug. Warning: Power Blast has been known to melt things not made of metal.
On another issue, I'm impressed that your engine cranks with the amount of corrosion showing on your battery terminals. You need to apply some serious elbow grease to that engine's rust issues.

Straight drive is one straight shaft running from the engine aft to the propellor. A vee drive runs initially from the engine towards the bow, then forms a vee and goes back to the prop.

Last edited by FSMike; 03-10-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Holy Rust! Yea, PB Blaster is the preferred solution. Mystery oil might work too. Maybe focus on fixing known issues like rust before worrying about things that still work.
Old 03-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given the photo, I would highly recommend disassembling the entire engine and treating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceri View Post
I have an atomic 4 in my pearson 10m , 1974

spark plug is rusted in cyl #1, engine runs but plug hasnt been changed for 3 years. Now that its my boat, I'd like to fix that.. I tried wd 40..afraid to break it off..

how do I know if I have a direct drive or v drive? where can I read up on these?

I'd like to try and change the impeller as well..I think I need more than wd 40..
Photobucket

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
I was considering that..I would have to remove it,take it apart, break some stuff in the process (bolts at least) ,clean it up and put it together...
If I go through all of that (and break some stuff), I might as well rebuild it..I have never rebuilt an engine. Moyer for $5,000 ..,pay someone to get it out,then in and ship it ..both ways..
So what do you think $15,000 ?

I think I'll try cleaning up rust, replace frozen plug, rebuild carb, replace impeller, replace belts and hoses, replace thermostat, replace points...see how that works first..and if I dont snap some bolts I could get delay the rebuild and $15,000..
Old 03-12-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
A rebuild shouldn't cost that much. $11-12,000 would get you a new diesel installed, with new bedding and exhaust system. A rebuild requires no modification, just unbolt remove and replace. Still, your plan is worth trying. Check the compression and make sure the exhaust manifold is not leaking seawater into the exhaust. Then replace the parts you mention.
Old 03-12-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
" break some stuff in the process (bolts at least)"
Seriously, PBlaster is nothing like WD40. It makes snapping bolts very unlikely.
Old 03-25-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
$15k rebuild? Try a $10k repower instead.

Or...use PB Blaster, which much more effective at loosening struck hardware in my experience than WD40. Be cautious of overspray and what the PB Blaster comes in contact with. Also, have you tried removing the plug after the engine has been recently run so that the block is warm? Cold blocks/plugs are more difficult to remove than warm plugs.

Old 03-25-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts Everything you want to know about the A-4 and then some. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
impeller

changing my impeller was one of the first things i did. make sure you seacock is alway open when you fire, else those little impellers burn up pretty quick. when i yanked the old one it barely had 1/2 a fin left...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture