Inherited previously submerged engine -- where do we start? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I would advise a couple of swift oil changes, within a day or so of each other.
Marvel Mystery Oil, lots of it, into the cylindars.
Soak and attempt to free flywheel.
Otherwise bljones is probably right and the flat head needs to come off so you can inspect the cyls and valves.
These engines can be brought back to life.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010

weephee is on a distinguished road
You mentioned that rain or snow filled the cabin. If snow, then I would assume your boat was in an area where freezing occurs. My concern would be the possibility of unwanted water in the engine froze and cracked the block somewhere. You won't know this until the engine is freed up and a compression test is done plus checking for water in the oil bath after the engine is running. I would definitely remove the engine from the boat and strip it down for a complete rebuild. The last thing you want is to have an unreliable motor especially in time of adverse weather conditions.
Old 04-10-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
ditto on take the heads off. Look at the cylinder walls for rust. It doesn't take much rust in the cylinder walls to freeze it up. And even if the cylinder walls are rusty, that's not necessarily the end of it. Once you get it apart, and the pistons out, you can either rent or buy a cylinder honing tool. It's just three ( usually) fine grinding stones that you spin on an electric drill that polishes up the steel cylinder wall. The piston can be cleaned up by hand, as it actually doesn't touch the cylinder wall, since that seal is by the piston rings. Which are cheap and easy to replace.

First thing, though, is to get that motor apart at least to the major subassemblies, so you can see what you have to work with. I am not familiar with that particular motor, but I have rebuilt a whole lot of different engines of other kinds. My guess is that the crank and connecting rods that were immersed in oil are okay, and that your issues are from the piston rings up. just a guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer92 View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips. I got more info here than I did at Moyer Marine's forums.

We're ordering the manual from there and our plan, such as it has had time to form, is to have the yard use their lift to pull the engine (the manager already offered so I think that's good), since some of the things we need to tend to are behind the engine anyway, like the gas tank.

Again, appreciate all the advice. This forum is great.

p.s. When looking at that video TomMays posted, you can see other A4 videos; there's one with a gent and his wife using the boom to lift out his A4 from a Catalina 27 and swing it onto the dock. Clever (and it works).
I went back to the Moyer Marine forum and found your original post, and I am surprised that more people didn't respond. Usually we are a very active forum and people tend to jump in and offer advice -- I don't know why it didn't happen in your case.

At any rate, do come back over and post your results and any photos. We do love these engines and love to help others get them back into action.

I don't mean to demean this forum in any way -- I'm a constant visitor and poster here -- but I don't like to see the MM A4 forum fall down on the job either.

Keep us all up to date with what's going on, by all means!

Monrovia, MD
Old 04-10-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
You definately have to pull the engine and rebuild it. You've probably heard the steps to free up the pistons by now : pull the heads and soaked the cylinders in penetrating oil; Pull the crankshaft; hammer out the pistons out using a wood block and rubber or weignthe plastic mallet. Then check the specs, water jacket corrosion and decide whether to rebuild or replace. If it's raw water cooled the cylinder wakks may be too thin for boring if that needs to be done. Moyer's the ultimate guru and and it may be best to just pull the engine and send it to him to rebuild.
Old 04-10-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I went back to the Moyer Marine forum and found your original post, and I am surprised that more people didn't respond. Usually we are a very active forum and people tend to jump in and offer advice -- I don't know why it didn't happen in your case.

Keep us all up to date with what's going on, by all means!
I too was a bit surprised at the traffic on the MMI site on this same subject. I bet with a little cajoling they can be brought out of their shells (eg, a new thread).
On a plus note, you can actually sail a Tartan 27' without an engine if there is wind. If there is no wind the anchor can be your friend and at least hold you in place more or less.

Everybody has one: