SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   A4 alternator? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/64442-a4-alternator.html)

seaspot 05-04-2010 05:34 PM

A4 alternator?

I need a new alternator for my A4 and after seeing how much they are, I started wondering if any of you all have used a different alternator on your A4?

An AC Delco off of many GM will fit, internal regulator, single wire hook up, and cheap.

Even a marine one for a Mercruiser would work and still cheaper than the one for the A4.

Has anybody else already done this?

CalebD 05-04-2010 05:58 PM

Is your old alternator really shot? A good alternator rebuild shop should be able to fix your old one if it is just a diode or two that are shot. The problem with a rebuild is that it can cost as much as $250 to have your alternator rebuilt and a new 55 amp alternator from Moyer Marine is only $217.50. The original alternators on the A4 are only 35 amps so a new 55 amp alt. may just be the way to go.
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts
Or try an AC Delco alt. but you should not need much more then 55 amps of output. The higher the amp rating on an alt. the more power it uses from the engine to generate those amps.
I have priced some 'marine' alternators and I agree that they are very $$$. It usually pays to shop around and compare prices/products.
Good luck whatever you do.

jaschrumpf 05-04-2010 09:00 PM

I had my 35A alternator totally rebuilt into a 55A alternator by a local Baltimore shop. It cost less than $100 for the rebuild, so I'd definitely look around and get some prices from a local alternator/starter shop before committing to buying a new one.

MARC2012 05-05-2010 02:42 AM

If yours is shot why not try to repair it yourself.Usually brushes if em,.\.,m

tommays 05-05-2010 05:27 AM

What ever you do PLEASE use the marine unit as the brushes are spark shielded to help with BOOM

cardiacpaul 05-06-2010 10:08 AM

PLEASE - take it to a rebuild shop.
Brushes are about 12 bucks, diode pack about 15, and regulator about 20.00
(along with a diff diode pack and regulator, can make the prestolite, or motorola, or the delco to push out 50 amps.)

seaspot 05-06-2010 06:36 PM

OK, I;ll bring it back with me this weekend and have a local guy check it out and see what he'll charge to rebuild it.

I was just a little shocked when I looked up how much the replacements were.

seaspot 07-11-2010 03:30 PM

Just an update. The alternator was wrecked internally and was not able to be rebuilt.

Since I have tons of ventilation in my engine compartment, I just went with an AC Delco, one wire alternator. 80 amps, with core exchange, I just gave them an old GM I had sitting around, $29.99 out the door.

Hooked it up and I now have a ton-o-charging.

sailingdog 07-11-2010 03:45 PM

Bad idea to go with an automotive alternator. IIRC, they are not ignition protected...and as such are an ignition source for explosions on a gasoline powered boat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaspot (Post 621449)
Just an update. The alternator was wrecked internally and was not able to be rebuilt.

Since I have tons of ventilation in my engine compartment, I just went with an AC Delco, one wire alternator. 80 amps, with core exchange, I just gave them an old GM I had sitting around, $29.99 out the door.

Hooked it up and I now have a ton-o-charging.

seaspot 07-11-2010 03:49 PM

If there are fumes sure. The main difference is just the internal screen, which the old A4 alternator didn't have anyway. I figured that out when I took it apart.