Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2010

contagous is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
Agree with smosher. I did this job a few weeks ago. You need to replace the exhaust flange (check the Moyer online catalog) and to do this you will need to remove the manifold. Remove the 3 nuts holding the manifold to the block. You'll need to remove the carburetor first. I cut the exhaust pipe shortly after it left the manifold to make it easier for me to remove the manifold from the block.
Once the manifold is off, you can try to remove the bolts holding the exhaust flange in place (lots of PB Blaster, time, heat), but they probably won't come out. If you have a cutting wheel you can cut off the heads then drill the bolts out (which is what I did) but you need to be careful with the drill so as not to ruin the threads in the manifold, or take it to a machine shop if you're not comfortable doing this. Shouldn't cost much.
Make the system out of black iron. Brass or bronze is just too expensive. The exhaust flange will cost almost as much as everything else.
The other part you'll need from Moyer is the water inlet fitting. I used a plain plumbing Tee, but the Moyer fitting is better as it directs the water flow out toward the muffler.

*update*

Well we got the manifold off, but those bots was not coming off, We tried blow torch, pb blast, everything. I'm not up on anything to do with engines, so decided to ask around on how to fix it... Prob is I only have like 3-4 days before it must be working....

I decided to give up all faith and pay my boatyard to clean up old manifold, make new exhaust system, they say they are using high grade stanless steel. and new flange and stuff too.

Just another $500 I don't have, but I just don't have the time of knowledge to mess with it right now.

Thanks for all the help tho guys, you made it so I didn't have to pay anyone to remove anything and get it to a shop..

Thanks

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010

wheelhouse is on a distinguished road
Stainless ?

This might make you ill, but most of us have galvanized or black steel pipe.
ARIA - 1976 Catalina 27 - Exhaust System
Old 08-17-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
stainless steel can experience electrolysis, causing premature failure (rusting) of parts. I went with Galvanized as well which may IIRC do the same thing, but it will take longer.

Corrosion & Electrolysis: How to Protect Your Boating Investment

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
stainless steel can experience electrolysis, causing premature failure (rusting) of parts. I went with Galvanized as well which may IIRC do the same thing, but it will take longer.

Corrosion & Electrolysis: How to Protect Your Boating Investment
I saw this too, but they are Seaview boatyard, and they use this everyday is what they are saying, its a high class steel, that apparently is designed for exhausts, guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes, I will ask them about it when I pick it up.

I heard that galvanized pipe makes a horrible smell when its hot, I was going to use black pipe, if I had time to make it myself, but I need my boat sail worthy in 4 days time...

This was the best option for that.
Thanks for the warnings.
Old 08-20-2010

*update*

About to fit the new Exhaust riser that the boat yard made, he is a pic of it, i hope its worth the $450 it cost... But i tell you something they made it in 2 days, which is what i needed at the time

Oh and btw it is not made in stanless steel, its Grade 5 Steel, they said its great for heat and should last a long time

Thanks for all the help guys, I should be up and running by Saturday and my parents get here on sunday, so all should end well

Thanks again

Dave