Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-29-2010

CaptianKirk is on a distinguished road
The Joys of winterising

I am going to be pulling my boat for the winter in about a month and I am wondering what I should be doing to the motor for the winter. It is a Palmer p-60 gas motor. I know I should add anti-freeze, but is there anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
With any engine being put away, an oil and filter change is needed. Also change the fuel filter. Is the engine raw water or fresh water cooled? Procedures are slightly different for each, but basically flush and drain the raw water system and fill with Boat/RV antifreeze.
Old 10-03-2010

CaptianKirk is on a distinguished road
mmmm, I am confused by the question is raw water and fresh water not the same? It is not salt water, but water from the lake. I always call that raw water. There is not a heat exchanger on it, if that is what you are asking.

I am just wondering how to ensure that all of the water is out of all of the nooks and cranny inside the head?
Old 10-03-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
Raw water is the water that comes from outside your boat, fresh or salt. The "fresh" water is the mixture of antifreeze and water that flows through the engine cooling it and then is, in turn, cooled by the "raw" water in the heat exchanger. If you do not have a heat exchanger your engine is cooled directly by the raw water.

To winterize the engine fill the fuel tank with stabilized fuel. This is especially important with the alcohol in modern gasoline. Run the engine to make sure the stabilized gas is through the system, especially the carb or injectors.

Change the oil and filter.

For the cooling system you must replace the raw water with RV(non-toxic) antifreeze. I do this on the hard by running a piece of tubing from the intake side of the waterpump to a gallon of antifreeze. Start the engine and run it until you have run two gallons through the engine or heat exchanger and the muffler.(This should also run the stabilized fuel through the engine.)

Then, if you have a gas engine,(not diesel) remove the spark plugs and spray a little oil into each hole. Crank the engine a second or two to coat the cylinders with oil. Replace the spark plugs and you are done.
Old 10-26-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
You may also consider pulling our your water pump's impeller. Some impellers are susceptible to damage from antifreeze exposure. Besides, it's a good time to check the condition of the impeller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.