Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-16-2010

calgryphon is on a distinguished road
Pacific NW rebuilder for A4

I'm looking for a reputable rebuilder for my A4 here in the PNW. I don't mind a days driving to get there but I want someone who has an intimate knowledge of these motors. I'm on the South Oregon coast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
while you would have to ship it, you may wanna check these guys out:

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

im sure others will agree. if she is not too bad off you very well may be able to DIY, but i would certainly get moyers manual.

good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-19-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Agree with Quinn (aka QuickMick). Call Moyer on the phone. They are very nice and friendly and best of all I think they have some kind of presence out in the WA/OR area. You might find someone else who is cheaper but you likely will not find anyone better.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
check with waterhouse motors in tacoma they have been in bussiness for 50 years friends of my family own it. they are about the best in the northwest. the worst they could say is take it to these people.
WATERHOUSE | OUR SERVICES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2010

Thank you all for your replies. I have done business with Don Moyer before having bought tons of misc parts from him (gaskets etc.). Unfortunately he is on the other side of the country and the cost of freight both ways really adds to the price. It costs a couple hundred to ship a Harley motor cross country and that's just a little more than half the weight of an A4. I will call Don though and perhaps he can steer me in the right direction. The engine was running well but smoked and the smoke had a very definate burned oil aroma to it. I have built more than a few engines myself and feel capable of doing the job though finding time isn't always easy. I also worry about the machine shop doing my work. I prefer to use a machine shop that has experience with the type of motor I'm working on. The town I live in has a working harbour and a lot of marine related businesses. Unfortunately it mostly involves commercial fishing with very little knowledge of sail related issues.
Old 11-20-2010

Funny. I was just looking at prices for overhaul parts on Moyer's site. Compared to parts for a Ford or GM small block V8 they may seem high. However, after having dealt with Harley engine parts for so many years my first impression at Moyer's site was that the prices seemed realistic. In fact they are less expensive than I imagined they would be. Perhaps I will simply "find the time" to do it myself over the winter. Hopefully, finding a reliable machine shop with knowledge of A4's won't be difficult.
Old 11-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
calgryphon,

By all means do it yourself if you've got the time and inclination.
I thought I read on the Moyer forums (similar to SN) that they had an affiliate in the PNW somewhere. That is why I recommend you speak to Don M.
BTW, I find their forum to be a really good resource as the discussions are almost 100% A4 or boat related. The member base that posts a lot seems to be quite knowledgeable.
You may find some A4 parts slightly cheaper some places other then at MM but you can buy with confidence that the after market parts they sell are good.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-01-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
The A4 is a simple engine. Good automotive machinists are able to do just about anything that comes in the door as the basic principles are the same. The only thing they have to have are things like bearing and piston clearances plus torque specifications and there are databases of engine manuals available online for that. The fact that you live in a place that does commercial boats is to your advantage. Large diesels are very expensive to rebuild so these folks have to get it right or the problems with guarantees will drive them out of business. Talk to some of the commercial boat owners and see whom they recommend. Also, a machine shop can usually get parts at almost manufacturers prices so check with them about parts prices before you order anything. If time is a problem, see if they will do a long block where the head and covers such as pan, valve side cover and timing chain cover are removed and installed by the shop. One additional advantage of this is cleanliness, very important on a rebuild. On a long block you will have to remove the accessories such as water pump, filters, alternator, etc.