Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
That wonderful stuff that was a cheap solvent around the shop, ran lawn mowers and pickup trucks is now almost as dear as any other chemical we buy by the gallon. I "store" 20 gallons of gasoline in my boat's tank over the winter. I guess it is 18 gallons of gasoline and 2 gallons of alcohol here in Maine now. A full tank of old gasoline, even using Stabil, is what is waiting for my A-4 in the spring. I purchased a 12 volt fuel pump at the auto supply store ($15.00) and fuel line and fittings that allow me to pump that "old" gas out to put into my "old" 65' Chevy pickup. It takes me a little work to hook things up but it has become part of the spring fit out process. I am replacing filters anyway. The boat is on the hard and wide open. The wires for the pump are outside the boat and connected to the truck's battery. If I am concerned about the condition of the gasoline I can "rinse" the tank with an additional 5 or 10 gallons of gasoline, treated with MEK if necessary, that my "old" 283 Chevy will consume happily. It is gasoline I would buy anyway so it isn't "lost". It lets me start each season with fresh gasoline for the new filters. So far so good. It helps eliminate some concerns about dirty fuel.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-26-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
down, if you added the Stabil when the gasoline was new, and you used the "two year" dose of it per the label, you'll probably find your A4 quite happy to run on it when it is just one year old. I don't know what Stabil does, but I've noticed that it does it very well.
Old 04-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I am being over cautious, I guess. I did skip the pump out two seasons ago and had no problems. This year I moved the Racor and had things disconnected anyway. I have not been using the 2 year dose of Stabil. How often do you replace filters?

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-26-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: greeting
Old 04-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Down, using Stabil won't affect the filters. You still change the filters either by the clock, or by the vacuum gauge (if you have one) showing that they are clogging up.
Old 04-27-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Maximum recommended change for a Racor is ~1 YEAR. This is due to the cellulosic filter media being 'digested' by any water in the fuel, which can greatly 'soften' & weaken the filter material. ..... or sooner if the vac/pressure gage show a 'noticeable' increase.