SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Changing Oil (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/78137-changing-oil.html)

Scott Vickery 08-30-2011 09:44 PM

Changing Oil

Hi, I have a 1976 Atomic 4. I want to change the oil. Sounds like I need to pump it out through the dip stick hole. Can anyone tell me how wide that is? That is, what diameter tube can I stick down there?

Thanks,
Scott

mitiempo 08-31-2011 01:29 AM

Best to use a product like this: Panther Fluid Extractor

Run the engine first to warm the oil. It is a neat solution to a messy problem.

CalebD 08-31-2011 02:11 AM

Get the 6 liter version of that pump that can hold over a gallon of engine oil.
Dipstick hole is fine for draining oil as is oil cap, usually.
Hose size is small. I've got the $120 Jabsco oil pump that holds a few gallons and runs on 12V power from the batteries. No mess either.
Warm up the oil and pump it out.
Easy.

Summer Magic 08-31-2011 03:00 AM

I had this problem and I happened to have enough clearance to put a drain pan under my motor. I took the oil pan off and had it tapped and threaded at an automotive machine shop and now I have a drain plug just like a car would. This was the best long term solution for me. It also cost me less than a pump by a long shot($25 to tap and thread the pan + $3 for a bolt $10 for tube of silicone form a gasket).

Scott Vickery 08-31-2011 09:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was originally going to go with a drill bit pump like this: Lowe's - Drill Pump customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings, with a garden hose out one side into a jug, and the others side in to the engine. It takes a garden hose on that side as well. So, I was going to take a small piece of hose and attach it somehow to go into the garden hose. But, the pump above looks much better.

JimsCAL 09-01-2011 06:46 PM

I have the 4 liter version of these. Love it. Just stick the tube in, give it a dozen pumps or so to create the vacuum, and out the oil comes. And it's in the unit for easy removal.

Moeller Marine Online - Fluid Extractors

Minnewaska 09-01-2011 06:51 PM

While I have the 12v extractor, I wish I had the Moeller. No need for wires running all over.

centaursailor 09-03-2011 07:43 AM

I use a small brass hand pump available in most chandlers. The hose, about 3/8in was just too tight for the dip stick hole so I found a 18in length of 1/4in od copper pipe that pushes into the hose. Its is a bit of waste fridge copper, but it could be any pipe or smaller hose that fits into the original pump hose.
I also use the pump to transferrer diesel from my reserve barrel to the tank when at sea, saves a lot of spills in rough weather so I don,t feel guilty about poisoning the sea.:eek:
Safe sailing

Scott Vickery 09-18-2011 05:39 PM

Ok. So I ended up getting a 12V pump. But, I can not seem to get the oil to come out. I stick the 1/4 tube into the dip stock hole as far as I can. I start the pump. But, nothing comes up. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Scott

mitiempo 09-18-2011 05:58 PM

Are you running the engine to get it to operating temp which will let the oil flow better.