SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Fuel Additives for Ethanol (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/78505-fuel-additives-ethanol.html)

boardandplunder 09-08-2011 03:17 PM

Fuel Additives for Ethanol

Has anyone experienced problems with the newer ethanol fuels?
Tried any additives?
Results?
I had some stuttering during some of my longer trips under motor but beyond that no real trouble. I haven't tried changing out my fuel filter yet but am curious if anyone has had good results from any of the additives out there.

PaulfromNWOnt 09-08-2011 04:16 PM

The only problem that I've encountered is that some MORON decided it was a good idea to make FOOD into FUEL.

Apart from that, plus the fact that it's un-stable and eats away at rubber fuel lines, and gums up your carb I've encountered no difficulties after adding Sea-Foam to the tank. If the seals and hoses on your engine aren't ethanol tolerant, then you may want to consider replacing them.

HTH, sorry for the rant.

dabnis 09-08-2011 04:51 PM

I did a test by putting a teaspoon or so of water in a coffee can half full of gas. The water was visible in the bottom of the can. Then I added some Berryman's B-12 Fuel additive, The water turned into a foggy appearance and then was no longer visible. After a number of days there was still no sign of the water. I let the gas sit in the can for several months. As of now there is a very small amount of dark, thick oily substance in the bottom of the can, not sure if it will ever dry completely? B-12 is a very powerful solvent, it can melt paint and some plastics so it should dissolve deposits, like varnish, that have formed in a carburetor. I have used it for years in all sorts of applications and have never had any fuel related problems except for the time I forgot to drain the carb in one of my outboards over the winter, my fault. No affiliation with Berryman's, other brands may work as well?

Dabnis

hellosailor 09-08-2011 06:58 PM

All the additives can do is bind the extra water (which the alcohol sucks in from the air) into a finer suspension so it gets burned instead of sitting in your tank. There's no magic that gets rid of the alcohol or the water.

SeaFoam is funny stuff, if you read their MSDS. It consists of naphtha (the base stock in gasoline) plus isopropyl alcohol (the cleaning agent) plus light oil (to compensate for the scouring in the cylinders from all that alcohol).

If you're planning to "blow out the carbon" you can just pour in some old rubbing alcohol and get about the same effect. Or yesterday's coffee, as many fine mechanics swear by. Same effect, the water becomes steam, cleans out deposits. Add in some used motor oil if you want that extra lube.

There's a reason some stuff doesn't have a big ingredients label on it. :-)

dabnis 09-08-2011 08:05 PM

I was curious about the contents:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...tml#post749429

pdqaltair, a chemical engineer, I think, explained:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...feature-4.html

Interesting stuff, but it seems to work, for me anyway, your mileage may vary.

Dabnis

murphbmurph 06-23-2012 08:05 AM

Re: Fuel Additives for Ethanol

A company called VP Racing Fuels sells a product they call "Small Engine Fuel" - it's 94 octane gas, no ethanol, and comes in handy 1 qt leak-proof resealable cans. Pretty expensive if you calculate the per-gallon price. But if you don't use much gas over a season with a small sailboat, it seems worth the price - compared to engine repairs with ethanol damage

hellosailor 06-25-2012 08:44 PM

If you want ethanol-free gasoline at the pump, see if there's one near you:

pure-gas.org : comments

silverbeard 06-29-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulfromNWOnt (Post 771752)
The only problem that I've encountered is that some MORON decided it was a good idea to make FOOD into FUEL.

Apart from that, plus the fact that it's un-stable and eats away at rubber fuel lines, and gums up your carb I've encountered no difficulties after adding Sea-Foam to the tank. If the seals and hoses on your engine aren't ethanol tolerant, then you may want to consider replacing them.

HTH, sorry for the rant.

Just curious , when was the last time you sat down to a meal of #2 yellow corn? Here in North America, that is the main feedstock for making ethanol. Ethanol is made from the starch in corn, leaving all the protein and minerals for food.

pdqaltair 06-29-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbeard (Post 890874)
Just curious , when was the last time you sat down to a meal of #2 yellow corn? Here in North America, that is the main feedstock for making ethanol. Ethanol is made from the starch in corn, leaving all the protein and minerals for food.

* A presumably the farmer could plant other crops. That was a silly statement.
* Ethanol is subsidized and exempt from road taxes. I have a problem with that, since income tax and Federal debt make up the difference.

Just politics, per Al Gore, November 22, 2010:

"One of the reasons I made that mistake [over ethanol] is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president" in 2000.

With lamentable results:
UN Expert Calls Biofuel 'Crime Against Humanity' | LiveScience

------------

But now it is a sacred cow and there is nothing for it but to learn better fuel management. Full tanks. Run the engine a bit more. Close vents on portable tanks.

rackham the red 08-07-2012 11:04 PM

Hi, ethanol is an engine killer whether it is diesel or gas. I use John Deere additive to each tank full plus 2 oz of StarTron. Since John Deere will warranty an engine if this additive is used, it is good enough fore me. This was recommended to me by my Tractor mechanic. I can honestly say, I have NO problems.

I also have a vintage Mercedes that I don't drive more than 6 or 7 time a year. I pickle the gas with StarTron and I have no problems starting it right up and zipping about. Oh, it won't rot or disintegrate any of your lines based on my experience.

Hope this helps.
Rochelle

Hope this helps and down with corn for diesel!!! and any other vegetable for that matter.