Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2011

danmunsey is on a distinguished road
Need help troubleshooting, Electrical?

Hi,

Just got a boat with an Atomic 4 in it. The thing ran great for 6 half hour sessions (half hour out to sail and half hour back in).

Yesterday while visiting the boat (just checking on it, not sailing) I started the motor. It ran for a minute then shut off. I turned over (with the starter) but never even started to fire up again.

I opened the compartment and found what appears to be a voltage regulator hanging by its wires. (See attached picture of arrow pointing to regualtor (?).. the one screw holding it was just put on for the picture.. the regulator was hanging by its wires.)

The motor is defintely getting fuel. I had zero tools on the boat to pull the plugs and check for spark.. I'm guess that is where my problem lies.

So is that a regualator? Could it have grounded itself or gone bad? When I go to the boat should I pick up the part on the way there? I'm 2 hours from the boat (in Dana Point) so I want to be prepared. Anyone have any other thoughts?

thanks in advance,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Need help troubleshooting, Electrical?-dscn0489a.jpg  

Last edited by danmunsey; 09-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Welcome to SN. You may want to post this question on the Moyer site also. Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts Make sure the raw water thru hull is closed if you are cranking and she is not firing. This has nothing to do with the regulator question but is important. They will ID the part for you. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 09-18-2011

danmunsey is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I registered at the site. I'm now waiting for the mods to approve my membership so I can post.
Old 09-19-2011

pgrech83 is on a distinguished road
Voltage regulator has nothing to do with the engine starting. I know you said you had running a few times. Initially I would start diagnosing by checking for fuel and spark. You said you had fuel going to it. Check the condition of the fuel. Spark should be easy to check. You may of also flooded the cylinders with fuel and fouled the spark plugs. To fix that I would pull all plugs out, cut the fuel supply and crank the engine so it blows any unburnt fuel out. To clean the plugs I usually spray them down with carb cleaner and set them on fire. Do not recommend doing this on the boat. This will burn any deposits on the plugs. Reinstall plugs and reconnect fuel supply and try again. Spraying carb cleaner in the air intake will also help to fire it up. Good luck.