SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Sailing Boots - High or Low? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/82599-sailing-boots-high-low.html)

montenido 01-11-2012 12:15 AM

Sailing Boots - High or Low?

Hi all, I have decided to get a pair of boots for sailing. I will mostly be in SoCal and was wondering if any of you have a preference for either high or low boots?
WM has a sale right now, so any opinions are appreciated.

Cheers, Bill

Squidd 01-11-2012 12:21 AM

Well, if you hang around here long enough...you'll appreciate the higher boots.. ;)

davidpm 01-11-2012 06:57 AM

I bought the high boots at WM.
I'm in CT and it is not unusual to have floods that cover the parking lot and low ones would not be high enough to get to the dock.

That being said I have needed the high ones probably 3 times in the last three years.
If they go in sale here again I probably pick up some short ones as they pack easier as I travel a lot for deliveries.
If you don't care about storage space one the boots are on its only a problem if they are too short.

c25novi 01-11-2012 07:39 AM

I like the low boots, I find high boots bother my calves and are uncomfortable. If the water gets deeper than that - it's time for swimming trunks!

zz4gta 01-11-2012 10:04 AM

Why are you buying boots? Offshore? Really wet boat? Warmth?

I like high boots b/c foulies will sometimes ride up over a short boot when sitting on the rail, and I really don't like a boot full of water.

JordanH 01-11-2012 01:40 PM

I prefer high boots. As above, I don't like my foulies riding up over the boot cuff. I also like that my boots have a drawstring/sealable top cuff. In both cases, the goal is to keep water out of the boots since they hold water in as well as they keep water out. I think mine are Gill brand and they do the job well enough.

Up here, I couple my boots with Merino wool socks. Because it is inevitable that your feet will be wet from sweat, rain or water but the wool will keep your feet warm where cotton will lose its heat retention properties.

Another alternative which I've seen while canoeing and on race day, is that people use Gortex socks in their regular boat shoes. This is a viable and easily packed option if you don't want to have two pairs of footwear kicking around.

SloopJonB 01-11-2012 02:41 PM

I have extremely high arches and can't get my feet into "wellington" style boots unless they are 3 or more sizes oversize - then when they are on I slide around in them.

The solution I found is zip on dinghy boots. They are a lot like wetsuit boots. I find them extremely comfortable, warm and waterproof as well as far less cumbersome than conventional boots.

Barquito 01-11-2012 04:59 PM

Is this post a follow-up to the previous question on the Atomic 4 forum? (about flooding the A4):D

montenido 01-12-2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the location, when I hit send somehow I ended up in the atomic forum.:D

Cheers, Bill