Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Need an A4 or a mechanic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor29664 View Post
she's rinning at present, jsut making noises an engine shouldn't make and smoking--sometimes a little, sometimes like a fog machine...lol Found a rebuilt last night up in MD, having it shipped down this week. Figure I'll jsut drop the new one in, then either learn to rebuild the old one or have it done to ahve a spare on hand. Thanks for the replies, will update on progress as it goes.
Do it yourself, even if you have to convince your wife to let you do it on the kitchen table. It is very satisfying the first time you light an engine you have built yourself from the bare block.

The A4 is such a simple engine that anyone who can turn a wrench can rebuild one.
travlineasy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Something I almost forgot about. The one product that keeps A4s running forever is ::Marvel Mystery Oil:: This stuff is unreal, fixes more problems than you can imagine, and all you have to do is put a quart in the crankcase the next time you add oil, and 2-ounces per gallon in the fuel tank. It seat the vales, cleans the valve faces, cleans the seals, cleans crud off the cylinder walls and helps seat the rings. And, it doesn't take many miles on the engine to get results. I've seen A4s that everyone said would never run and after treatment with the Mystery Oil than ran like a Swiss watch.

Hope this helps,

Gary
Old 07-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

MMO has its fans but I suspect also a large placebo effect. Added to the gasoline it acts as a "top cylinder lubricant" lubricating the cylinders and the valves in a way that the regular oil doesn't.

But mixed into the oil...there one has to ask, maybe the oil wasn't the right stuff to being with. MMO can't bring or do anything that a quality motor oil couldn't be doing alone.

For the price of a quart it isn't a painful experiment in any case.
Old 07-10-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
MMO has its fans but I suspect also a large placebo effect. Added to the gasoline it acts as a "top cylinder lubricant" lubricating the cylinders and the valves in a way that the regular oil doesn't.

But mixed into the oil...there one has to ask, maybe the oil wasn't the right stuff to being with. MMO can't bring or do anything that a quality motor oil couldn't be doing alone.

For the price of a quart it isn't a painful experiment in any case.
I consider marvel as part solvent, part lubricant. I never put it in my oil except once when I had a stuck valve. I think I put in 50/50 marvel and motor oil, then ran the engine at idle, shut it down, ran it at idle, over and over till the valve freed up... can't remember exactly... I do know that I changed the oil and replaced with 100% motor oil before running under load.

The rear valves/rings don't heat up enough and can get gummed (again, memory may be wrong).

I put it in my fuel for a decade with no ill effects, can't prove it helped, but as I was never attacked by a zombie....
Old 07-10-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

MMO has rust inhibitors in it as well as some solvents and lubrication - secret snake oil formula. It is the equivalent of a 5W oil, very light weight.
I use it to 'fog' the engine for winter layup. Shoot a few squirts into each cylinder and turn over briefly. I also do this during the season to help lube and clean the valves and cylinders. It seems to help keep my 45 year old A4 running smoothly.
HDChopper likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2012

sailor29664 is on a distinguished road

Anxiously awaiting arrival of a rebuilt A4 I found. Should be here end of this week or early part of next week. Then I'll be able to either learn how to rebuild the existing A4 or have it done locally without having any downtime this summer.
Old 07-11-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor29664 View Post
need an A4 or locate a competent mechanic somewhere in the SC / GA / NC area. Boat is on lake Hartwell, in Anderson SC
Got his info finally. You'll want to call and see if he services diesel, our friends had an inboard gasoline engine serviced.

Glen Warnock
222 Highway 413
Belton, SC 29627

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog