SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Need an A4 or a mechanic... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/89336-need-a4-mechanic.html)

sailor29664 07-04-2012 07:37 PM

Need an A4 or a mechanic...

need an A4 or locate a competent mechanic somewhere in the SC / GA / NC area. Boat is on lake Hartwell, in Anderson SC:):)

RobGallagher 07-04-2012 10:48 PM

Moyer marine. Ask on the forums there. Great people.

sailor29664 07-05-2012 10:49 AM

Re: Need an A4 or a mechanic...

yes, I agree they're a great bunch of guys, but so far no one has had a lead on a living breathing mechanic in my area. She's on lake Hartwell, in Anderson SC, can take the A4 to GA or even NC if necessary to get good work done. I simply don't have the inclination, the tools or the facilities to do the work myself.:):confused:

RobGallagher 07-05-2012 11:12 AM

If it was my engine and it needed major work I would ship it to Moyer or swap them my core for a rebuilt. JMHO.

hellosailor 07-05-2012 12:20 PM

Unless it is some kind of special marine problem, the A4 is "just" a bog standard industrial gasoline engine, and any car mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair it. They might appreciate a proper manual (which Moyer should be able to sell you) since there are some quirks like "Gee, no oil filter?" but really, that's a SIMPLE reliable engine.

Of course, finding a competent and honest engine mechanic of any kind, anywhere, is sometimes harder than getting a saddle on a unicorn.

SloopJonB 07-05-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 892895)
Unless it is some kind of special marine problem, the A4 is "just" a bog standard industrial gasoline engine, and any car mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair it. They might appreciate a proper manual (which Moyer should be able to sell you) since there are some quirks like "Gee, no oil filter?" but really, that's a SIMPLE reliable engine.

Of course, finding a competent and honest engine mechanic of any kind, anywhere, is sometimes harder than getting a saddle on a unicorn.

Agree - the A4 is about as unsophisticated and basic as an engine can get. A decent high school shop student should be able to fix it with no problem.

sailor29664 07-05-2012 06:23 PM

thanks for the input guys, was jsut hoping someone might have heard of someone in the general area....

leogallant 07-06-2012 12:50 AM

Checking with friends who are having work done at an Anderson Shop right now, will post contact info as soon as I hear back.

travlineasy 07-06-2012 06:16 PM

I guess my first question would be "what's wrong with the engine?" If it's not running, then it may be more difficult to diagnose the problem over the Internet, but in most instances, the A4 is a piece of cake to work on if you have relatively good access to the engine compartment. If you don't have good access, they're all tough to work on.

Gary :cool:

sailor29664 07-07-2012 11:34 AM

she's rinning at present, jsut making noises an engine shouldn't make and smoking--sometimes a little, sometimes like a fog machine...lol Found a rebuilt last night up in MD, having it shipped down this week. Figure I'll jsut drop the new one in, then either learn to rebuild the old one or have it done to ahve a spare on hand. Thanks for the replies, will update on progress as it goes.