Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Gas > Atomic 4
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

taylor_sf is on a distinguished road
Tips for dropping in an A-4?

Hi everyone,

Been lurking for awhile. This is my first post.

I bought a rebuilt Atomic 4 this weekend to replace the Atomic 4 that a PO filled with saltwater and abandoned inside the engine compartment. So, I have the old A-4 disconnected and ready to pull, and I plan to do so this evening.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on hooking up the new engine. Things to look out for or be careful of? Any good tricks for lining the engine with the prop shaft? The mechanic I bought the engine from said it could take 10 minutes or all day, and I'd like to be on the 10 minute side of that.

Thanks!
Taylor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for dropping in an A-4?

If you did not remove the tranny then you need to line up the engine with it. If you did not disturb the motor mounts you should be OK.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Taylor,
Perhaps your best bet for Atomic 4 specific advice is over at the Moyer Marine forum: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
Very helpful group of people there who have done what you are intending to do and will freely give you good advice. That is not to say that you wont get good advice here but it is highly likely that most people here have diesel engines of one sort or another. Doing the engine alignment is the same whether diesel or gasoline powered though.

One of the first things you should do once you remove the old A4 is inspect the engine mounts carefully. Check for any rot or soft spots in any wood used to make the engine beds. The engine beds need to be firm and strong otherwise your engine is likely to go out of alignment.

If the engine beds are solid then it should be a straight swap. Alignment is done using precise shims that get inserted under the engine mounts. McMaster-Carr

Good luck.
John B likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
If you did not remove the tranny then you need to line up the engine with it. If you did not disturb the motor mounts you should be OK.

Good luck!
Much as this is good advice and would be helpful if you had a diesel with a separate transmission it has no bearing on an Atomic 4 which has an integrated transmission aft the engine block.
This poster is a good guy and is trying to be helpful so I'm not going to say more on this subject.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2013

Caleb, thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how that would be possible. The shims are a good tip. I'll look for them at McMaster-Carr.

I asked on the Moyer Forum, too. -- Couldn't decide which location was best. : )

t

Edit: Additional note: I'm pretty sure the PO moved the engine mounts while he was working on the old engine. In the time that I've had the boat, the engine was never connected to the propshaft.

Last edited by taylor_sf; 03-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Especially for the one you're taking out, if you remove the alternator/generator, exhaust manifold and anything else that hangs off the side to create a smaller, lighter package to feed out of the compartment and out of your companionway that may save some dings and scratches.

You can do the same for the dropin if you find that a helpful measure. If you've got lots of room and plenty of grunt then maybe it's no big deal.

Like the idea of inspecting/cleaning up/replacing any mounts at this time. Also take the time to thoroughly clean the area underneath the engine and paint it before dropping in the new one.. get some oil soak pads and lay them under the engine, it will be easy to keep it all clean for some time.

Take this opportunity to make an oil pan suction line off the drain plug connection so you can pump the oil out from there rather than mess with a dipstick tube, and take a page from Porfin's book and clean and paint the 'new' engine before you drop it in. Nothing say's 'well looked after' like a clean engine and compartment.
CalebD, downeast450 and SloopJonB like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2013

I'm on the same page. : ) The old engine is in pieces. The new one is painted and fresh. She's a beaut! Can't wait to make the engine compartment pretty, too.

I'm thinking I'll see the state of the mounts once the old engine is out. I think I'll look in my Ericson 29 manual and Don Casey's Guide to Sailboat Maintenance to find out about his tips on engine alignment.

I've seen the oil setup, and I want to research it more. I was trying to use the dipstick hole to remove cold oil from the old, seized engine (to make it lighter and less messy to remove) but I couldn't get it out. I can definitely see how the mod would help. On the other hand, I'm a bit afraid to go putting holes in my nice pretty (running!) engine. Gotta read that thread and give it a think.

t
Old 03-11-2013

here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for dropping in an A-4?-photo-3-.jpg  
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_sf View Post

I've seen the oil setup, and I want to research it more. I was trying to use the dipstick hole to remove cold oil from the old, seized engine (to make it lighter and less messy to remove) but I couldn't get it out. I can definitely see how the mod would help. On the other hand, I'm a bit afraid to go putting holes in my nice pretty (running!) engine. Gotta read that thread and give it a think.

t
For the oil drain all you do is replace the pan drain plug with a fitting you can attach a hose to.. the hose can come up to the top of the block and be stored/attached to something to keep it high. You can add a plug at that end if you like.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

You might think about the rebuilt engine's cylinders possibly rusting if you don't get the beast running soon. Would hate to see a rebuild lock up. Did the re-builder give you paper with any kind of warranty?
Good luck!

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.