SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A4 Clutch slipping

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Good evening,
I have a little issue with the clutch / gearbox slipping in my A4 while running at higher RPS's. I get about 3/4 throttle and she slips almost like jumping out of gear but it is still fully engaged allowing the engine to speed up alot faster than I'd like, however lowering the throttle it re-engages. Are there any adjustment for this little issue other than the obvious...keeping the little beast throttled down?
Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
Keep the beast throttled down for now.
While I have owned an A4 engine for 10 years I'm not so familiar with the gear box/clutch so your next stop should be here: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
and you can ask that group about how to adjust the gear box/reversing gear assembly.
That group knows the Atomic 4 engine, inside and out.

Have you checked the shifter cable to see that it is not slipping somehow? Could be that simple but somehow I doubt it.

#4 ·
Did it operate correctly in the past or has it always done this? After I bought my Islander 28 a couple of years ago I discovered something similar with the boat. However I was not familiar with the drive train and after a summer of this I determined it was actually the prop cavitating. It was the original 2 bladed 12 x 7 and was pitted from years of immersion.

This spring I swapped the prop for a 3 blade Indigo bronze unit and no more cavitating.

When motoring around the harbor at low throttle and any time I tried to accelerate quickly, it spun up like the prop was not there. At the dock, I could see a lot of bubbles being formed around the prop when running it in gear and tied down. Just my experience as it wasn't the transmission.

#5 ·
This is not an unusual problem and the clutch fingers are easily adjusted, but you must follow the directions to get the adjustment exactly right. The job itself is not at all difficult. You must first remove the top cover of the gearbox, which is held in place with four bolts. This exposes the entire gearbox. Then you must slowly rotate the transmission until the adjustment bolt comes into view. The bolt has a screw-head slot in the top of it as well. Then it's just a matter of removing the bolt, turning the gear in the proper direction to align the indents, then reinserting the locking bolt. This is a simplified list of instructions, but you can download the full instructions from Moyer Marine's site.

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.