Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bavaria
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010

indecission is on a distinguished road
bavaria 44 Volvo Penta MD55 w/ms25sa saildrive

I just happend to run accross your forum while looking for a little help! I'm very impressed with the content and the accuracy of the information I found.

I have a Bavaria 44 with a Volvo Penta D55 and a MS25SA Saildrive.
I have water in the transmission, I'm getting ready to haul it as soon as Volvo gets me the parts, I'm pretty sure of what I'm going to need for this problem.

On a more GRAND scale, I was getting a ticking noise that I tracked down to the flywheel housing area. It has no inspection plate and the most I coud do was pull the starter and drop a small magnet in, in hope of finding something. Nothing found and since I was half way between Cartagena and Jamaica, there wasn't much more I could do about it.

Well after having 48hrs. of beautiful sailing, on one tack, the wind failed me and I decided to motor. When I went to ck the oil and coolant levels, before the restart, I noticed a silvery powder all over the engine. I pulled the side panels off the engine compartment and found, to my horror, a 1/2 inch hole with spider web cracks in the flywheel housing. I also found 2, what looked to be roller bearings and 2 ball bearings inside the engine compartment. The ball bearings are oval shaped and have a small hole running through it horizontally. I still have forward and reverse but, obviously, no more ticking noise.

I've sent pictures to Volvo and studied all the Tech diagrams and no one can tell me what happened.

I've have a new flex coupler and flywheel housing coming from Sweeden, but I'm not going to pull it out until I have al the parts.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue before and since it won't be until Mach before Volvo can get the parts to me. would I be unwise to limp on to The Dominican Republic and then to Puerto Rico, where I hope to haulout.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010

labestia is on a distinguished road
Saildrive oil in the tranmission

Hello:

I had the same problem with water in the transmission; it turned out to be the shaft (SAILDRIVE) seal. It was replaced and end of problem, so far...

I later learned that this seal should be changed every 5 or 7 years and my boat is turning 7 this year.

By the way, how do you store/manage the transom "door"? I also have a 2003 Bavaria 44.

If you ever need to replace the seals on your portlights refer to my post / Replacing Seals and Lenses on Lewmar Portlights

You can write to me at selles@quiropractico.com , there are not many Bavs in this part of the world.

La Bestia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook