Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bavaria
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nmit5903

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012

nmit5903 is on a distinguished road
Bavaria 44 refit

I thought others might find my experience of carrying out a 10 year refit on my latest Bavaria 44 of interest. She is my third Bavaria, the first a new 42 in 2005, the second and third both Bav 44's of the 2002 and 2003 vintage. Love them both. Actually prefer the 2002 for reasons I won't go into now.

I bought the 2002 earier this year as a project. Great inventory. Had sailed from England to Sydney and later a circumnavigation of Australia + Pacific Isl cruise - so well used but very well cared for. 2500 hours on the motor, which I was able to confirm from very well maintained logs by both of her two previous owners.

I bought her for a very good price from an owner that had financial difficulties.

I had a full survey and had a good budget for the work (or so I thought). Having said that I also went mad with a u beaut set of davits and champagne seats.

If buying a similar vintage (and ignoring unnecessary additions), I would allow at least A$50,000-A60,000 for the refit including standing and running rigging and overhaul of motor and sail drive (removed to replace drive plate in gearbox - (didn't know it needed replacement until removed), replace sail drive boot (Volvo suggests replace at 7 years but no one ever seems to replaced them) and other typical motor overhaul work. I also updated the instrumentation, replaced the ageing refrigeration unit and overhauled the water maker, which despite its age now works brilliantly.

She is at last ready to cruise again - 5 months later!

Having spoken to others, my experiences with the refit were not unusual however I am surprised how many, like me didn't realise what they were up for and more owners again who buy a 10 year old boat without having any idea at all of what needs to be done, if just from a safety perspective. For example there was no warning (no noise, or clunking) that the drive plate in the gear box was shot - I am told that one day very soon I would have just lost power; No warning that standing rigging is due to fail until it fails although regular annual checks will detect stress cracks in the turnbuckles and or chain plates ... and so it goes on.

I hope this is helpful to anyone buying a Bavaria 44 of the 2001 -2003 vintage or probably any other production boat of that vintage.

PS - Great learning experience and I would happily do it again so long as I could find another boat at the right price first!
ddrazic likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2013

shoestring is on a distinguished road
Re: Bavaria 44 refit

We are thinking of doing the same as you and buying a bavaria 44 2002 and doing a total refit, she is a very wet boat and all hatches and port holes need replacing, new sail drive, engine overhaul, cabinets are saturated and mold damage, some lockers cant be opened, and there are gouges in the deck and damage to the stern and bow with poor repair work. My heart goes out to the old girl and just want to know what it would cost to put her in better condition than when she was launched. Like you I would love the champagne seats, new nav equipment and new gel coat etc etc and the list goes on!!!

Coud you give me a more indepth explanation of your experience and why it took 5 months, did you do most of the work yourself? did you outsource stuff? and costs of everything you have had done.

Would really appreciate your feedback and breakdown of costs before embarking on 5 months of work.

Also how much did you buy the yacht for?

Kindest regards
shoestring
Old 02-24-2013

nmit5903 is on a distinguished road

Not sure where to start however I would be disinclined to take on any vessel that wasn't dry unless I was absolutely certain as to we here the water was coming in. The design of the hull allows water to sit in the bilge between the stringers which makes tracing the source incredibly difficult in my view - there are any number of placed water can come in - hatches sounds too easy.
I knew the 44 before buying the second boat and she was dry - therefore all my work was focused on the rigging, motor/sail drive, upgrading electrics and instrumentation + the Davits.
I did nothing - all work was professionally carried out and whilst perhaps on a good day I could do some of it, it's not worth the risk if getting ready for a long trip. It's a long story, perhaps for another time however the fellow that bought her set sail for Tasmania and abandoned ship in 100' seas and 70knot winds - she set a passage for NZ from the Bass Strait crewless and was eventually delivered home safely by a crew dropped some 3-4 days later - virtually no damage despite the severe conditions.
I am happy to send you a list of all the work I had commissioned however as a guide I spent approx 40% of the final sale value and I think the buyer got a very good deal. I spent close to $80k on the refit and there was probably another $20k to go on new covers to really make her ready for a trip (ie $100k all up).
If the boat you are looking at is wet inside and hull/deck in poor condition I would really think carefully and allow probably at least another $20k - taking the toe rails off and resealing the deck/hull join is a big job in itself and gelcoat repairs are not cheap if done well.
I you havnt carried out or commissioned a refit before assume it will take 2-3 times longer and cost up to 50% more than budget to allow for unforeseen things - based on my experience and others I have spoken to, you will be very lucky to get away with anything less.
I hope this is helpful. If you would like more details or chat on Skype some time - happy to do so.
Cheers
nmit5903
Old 02-25-2013

Talking Re: Bavaria 44 refit

Thank you for the quick response. Would love a break down of your costs, this would be a great help!! will send you a private message with my email.
Is it in US dollars or Australian??
Cheers
shoestring
Old 02-25-2013

sorry its
peter burgess 4225 @ aol . com
no spaces
cheers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.