Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing ... transmission in reverse?

I hate It when I'm wrong. Thanks for the correction.
eherlihy and gamayun like this.
Old 05-27-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

So let me get this right. It's ok to either leave it in reverse or pop it into reverse briefly to get it to stop spinning given I have a max prop ?
Old 05-27-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
So let me get this right. It's ok to either leave it in reverse or pop it into reverse briefly to get it to stop spinning given I have a max prop ?
I would pop it into reverse to get it to feather, then go back into neutral just in case some weeds force it to un-feather...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
outbound (05-27-2014)
Old 05-30-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
As I said it depends on your transmission. But allowing the prop to spin, ie neutral without a shaft break, is slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
This is incorrect. Their is no reason a spinning prop would create more drag than a fixed one (except folding props of course). The opposite is almost certainly true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Sorry you have it backwards. A freewheeling sailboat prop has LESS DRAG not more..
This is what gets me about sailing. It is extremely difficult to sort out which variables apply to one thing and not another. Even though I posted that paper that said a spinning prop is faster on hull speed than a locked prop, I asked a couple of very experienced sailors, one of which is a pilot who said that if you need to glide to a landing without stalling your forward momentum, then you lock the prop and that keeps the plane from slowing down. He wondered if the paper was related to large vessels and not smaller sailing yachts. These two said they both lock their props; however, they also have folding ones....so maybe there's a difference with a 2-blade fixed prop? Feathering props?
Old 05-31-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This is what gets me about sailing. It is extremely difficult to sort out which variables apply to one thing and not another. Even though I posted that paper that said a spinning prop is faster on hull speed than a locked prop, I asked a couple of very experienced sailors, one of which is a pilot who said that if you need to glide to a landing without stalling your forward momentum, then you lock the prop and that keeps the plane from slowing down. He wondered if the paper was related to large vessels and not smaller sailing yachts. These two said they both lock their props; however, they also have folding ones....so maybe there's a difference with a 2-blade fixed prop? Feathering props?
We are NOT in planes or helicopters and not traveling at those speeds in that medium. The University of Strathclyde Ocean Engineering Department paper was specific to sailboat props as was the MIT Sailboat Prop study. MIT also found the SAME THING. I also tested this years back and still have the test jig for conducting the analysis. I put a video up on YouTube...

*Why will a folding prop remain open and spinning when under sail and the gear placed in neutral?

*why does the same prop slam shut the split second it is locked in reverse?

*why does my dingy motor leg stay down when being towed in neutral but the minute I lock it in reverse the prop lifts/tilts the motor...?

Beyond MIT & The University of Strathclyde Dave Gerr author of the Propeller Handbook says the same and the UK magazine Yachting Monthly also tested this specific to sailboat props... Lots of "experts" have been wrong on this for many years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-09-2014

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

I used to slip my boat into gear to stop the annoying whirring noise, but only for a few months of ownership, then I installed a Flexofold over the winter.

Many years ago I worked for a company that flew us daily to the job site in a twin engine Piper Navajo. That was until we blew the right engine, complete with a brief fire over Southern Ontario. What are the first things a pilot is taught to do? Feather the prop and cut the fuel. If the prop is not feathered there is sufficient drag to make the plane very difficult to fly. As it was I got a great view out of the side window of the runway from my left seat as the plane crabbed it's way down final on the power of the left engine only.

Just imagine taking an 18" fixed blade prop and trying to hold it down in a 5 or 6 knot current, first spinning, then locked. Maine Sails example of the engine on the tender is a great one! It would be easy for anyone to replicate, if you are willing to trust someone else at the helm while you are hanging out in the tender.
Old 06-09-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

I went out in my 2-blade fixed sailboat about a week ago to meet friends across the bay so no rush to get anywhere. I had consistent 15-knots on a port tack so I would head into the wind periodically, shift into reverse or neutral, and see what that did to my SOG when the sails powered back up. Did it a few times. It was pretty consistent with 7.3 to 7.4 knots on the fixed prop and 7.6 to 7.7 on the spinning prop.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.