Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014

Missingyou is on a distinguished road
Cristec Battery Charger Default vs AGM Caution

I've been trying to educate myself on the batteries and the charging system in my OC45. I initially thought there may have been an issue with the house batteries and was giving the dealer grief, but I now think they are fine. However I did find one problem with the Chargers. My boat shipped with Cristec CPS3 OEM's,a 60A, and a 25A. I have the manual which is a good thing since they are OEM Chargers and the manuals offered on the Cristec website are for the retail versions, they are different. The retail versions seem to use a selector wheel, the OEM use DIP switches.

The charger's default factory settings are for Standard Lead Acid. My boat has AGM. Somehow the settings were not adjusted to reflect this. The difference as best I can tell is just in the Float voltage, 13.8 volts versus 13.6 volts for AGM. My Deka's clearly state 13.4~13.6 volts for float.

You might want to check your boat to see how it is set. One tip off might be to use a voltage meter and take a reading 'AT THE BATTERY' during Float/Maintenance charge. Don't rely on the panel read out, it isn't accurate. The chargers have a yellow plastic access cover that is held on by a single screw. You may need to use a mirror or a smartphone to see the settings on the starboard side.

How my boat was delivered.

Cristec CPS3OEM Manual.

Last edited by Missingyou; 06-06-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Minor typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cristec Battery Charger Default vs AGM Caution

Your switches seem to show they are currently
SW2-SW3-SW4
OFF--OFF--ON

according to the labels on the switches.

But according to the illustration in the manual, "white" is ON and "black" is OFF, which contradicts the illustration of the switches--although they are labeled Off/Off/On there.

I wouldn't trust the manual, I'd email them for confirmation using words like "up" and "down" and make sure they are talking about the same funny switches, which don't look at all like standard DIP switches. And then use a meter to confirm it.

I'd bet whoever wrote the manual never actually saw the switch type that someone built your board with.
Old 06-06-2014

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Yes Off-Off-On are what my switches are set to. That is the correct setting in the manual for Classic Sealed Batteries.

It should be to set Off-On-Off for AGM as per the manual just as follows:

Last edited by Missingyou; 06-06-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Error
Old 06-06-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

According to the text in the manual, yes. But according to the illustrations...it would be just the opposite. Gotta love this stuff.

Tags
agm , cristec , default , dip switches , oem