SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beneteau First 26

26K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  northcave 
#1 ·
Can anyone please send me some information on the Beneteau First 26.
Experiences, Links to articles, manuals, pictures etc.

Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
First24,

I have an outboard hung on a bracket on the transom which I don't care for. There is an outboard well in the cockpit on the starboard side which I am considering using. The motor mount is there but the well is still closed. It's never had an engine in it.

#7 ·
Infonote

Bought a fully refurbed example of the 26 in July and have found it to be a great buy. She sails great, points high and is very easily handled by myself and the wife. Ample room for four adults overnight and easy to manoeuvre in the marina.

She is my first boat of this size and I think it's a great option.

#9 ·
brak said:
What kind of a bracket is it?
It's the standard run-of-the-mill adjustable outboard bracket with a plastic tombstone on it. Through bolted to the transom. It's been moved several times and there are stress cracks in the transom. The transom was not designed to have an engine and bracket attached to it. It probably isn't any thicker than .25" - .38"

#16 ·
Maverick, how did refitting your Beneteau First 26 go?

I am seriously considering an extended cruise along the Central American Pacific Coast with my Beneteau First 26. New standing rigging, new Ullman sails, new headliner, rebuilt Volvo Penta, and new running rig completed.
However, to cross the Panama Isthmus, I am considering tabernacling the mast for truck transport. The savings over the Canal will probably pay for the tabernacle and the truck transport.
Anyone out there tabernacle a Beneteau cruiser/racer? Also, anyone truck transport across the Panama Isthmus? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
I have also been looking for infomation on the First 26 - have found very little available in english. can you suggest any sources?
I have one, in fact it is for sale, as I am getting out of sailing. As far as I know, no one has ever published a manual in English. I have a manual in French, but it's quite sparse, the assumption I presume is the boat is all you need to know? :) Very French of them... Still I can answer any questions you may have. Jim

#15 ·
Does anyone have a link to a site or even know if it is possible to step the mast on the 26? It's an older boat, and has notches on the base of the mast.. I'd like to be able to remove the mast for hurricane season. Thanks in advance for any help!
It's possible to do it manually, I did it with the help of 3 other guys once, but it is very tricky, because, as you note, there is no "pivot point" at the mast base. After the first time I did it, I didn't want to do it again, so hired a guy with a tall fork lift to hold it up by the spreaders while I set the standing rigging.

#19 ·
No Mast

Does anybody have specifications on mast. I'm looking at a First 26 missing the mast.. Considering a Cal 26 mast to replace with... Again not sure on specs or anything else.

Any decent reviews anywhere or blogs on upgrades for this boat that are in English?

I don't speak french so it makes reading the parts manual very hard.

V/R, Edward

#22 ·
I have a friend that has one and for many years now. The guy is a great sailor and the boat a great little boat.

He like to sail so the boat has been in Portugal, Spain, Morocco, crossed Gibraltar strait and has got is far share of bad weather on passage, always with no problems.

He sails downwind the boat with Spinnaker and I was surprised when he said that max speed was 12K. I believe him, as I have said, a good sailor, a good boat.

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.