SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Beneteau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/)
-   -   Beneteau Moorings 38- info. needed (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/24121-beneteau-moorings-38-info-needed.html)

hinghambaysailors 10-17-2006 01:37 PM

Beneteau Moorings 38- info. needed

Can anyone point us in the right direction for finding out more information on the Beneteau Moorings 38? We looked at a 1990 M38 for sale and are having a hard time finding information on this boat. It has a shoal draft of 4'11". I understand that these boats were made for the Moorings company to be used as charter boats. The boat we are interested in was purchased by one owner from the company seven years ago and has been upgraded and refinished beautifully.

Was the M38 the same as a First series with a different keel?

Any comments on sailing abilities? Construction quality?

We like the spaciousness and condition of this boat, but my husband is concerned about his Weds. night racing and slightly concerned that the build quality may not be as good as the First series. Any comments would be appreciated.

Vasco 10-17-2006 02:10 PM

I think the M38 was a First 38 with a shallower keel and shorter stick. Also some interior changes. It's a 16 year old boat. Check it out, if it's not falling apart after being in charter for nine years I'd say the build quality was pretty good.

mark55 11-09-2006 04:07 PM

Beneteau 383

I have a Mooring 383 1997 that I believe is the Oceanus series Beneteau. I have had great luck with it. It is well designed sails well. It's not a race boat but it moves along at a good 7+ in anything over about 12 kts of wind. I'm not sure if this is the same hull as your due to the age difference but so far I've got no major complaints. I do think that mooring had smaller rigs put on their charter boats though. I had a bit of a problem when I tried to order a new main (which I got directly from Beneteau). It seems my sail are the same as a B36.
I have a number of small problems I fixed if you need any advice.

Mark Killam

wgmeise 12-02-2006 10:30 AM

I have a 1989 Oceanis 390, which I am selling that I think is simular. The shoal draft takes away from the racing performance. I race it at our sailing club and have not done great, but that could be me. It sails great as the last guy said in wind over 7 to 20 kts. Have been happy with construction, except had to do blister work on last couple haulouts....also had to replace keel bolts last time out. Wendell

CJAviation 01-10-2007 10:49 PM

I owned a Moorings 38, Hull#74, for13 years. Then traded it in on A Beneteau 423. I loved the 38. Got it new in the Moorings fleet in 91. Brought it home in 99. Sails great but would do better up wind with a deeper keel. I sailed her up from La Paz, Baja CS, to Southern California in 12 days. Rased her ,and lived on her at one time. Putting up with 8 years of charter and still looking like new says a lot. The log proves she has been through a lot and kept on! Just saw her the other day and a tear cam to my eye. Go for it!

bfraga 04-15-2008 02:00 PM

I have a 1991 M38, w/ shoal draft. She is an excellent boat, althougt the keel is shoal it is longer so the speed and heeling abilities are not damaged she is fast I have win some regattas w/ her. It has an strong construction, the only disadvantage is the interior upholstery that cover the sides and parts of the celling that wasn't well glued and will come off. So you will need to keep it in place regularly. I have a full batten main and a 125 genoa, I have made 10knots upwind and 12k downwind, average speed is 6,5 - 7k upwind. She is ardent in strong winds, so keep in mind a good helm work and sail area wen out to sail. I crossed the Caribbean 3 times w her and work beautifully.

avazquez 04-16-2008 03:35 PM

Try to stay in the FIRST series....

I would try to stay within the First Series boats. Much much faster. I constantly sail by the oceanis series boats. Mine is the First 456 and I sail much higher and faster than even the Oceanis 473. So in terms of sailing ability I would stay within the First Series boats.

gra50t 07-17-2009 02:59 PM

Am thinking of having a look at a Beneteau M38 1991.Do you know what to be looking for ,as in weakness and concern.There are a couple of posts here on this V/L but not very extencive.Thanks for any reply.G50t.

FreshwaterSailer 12-30-2010 06:27 AM

M38

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinghambaysailors (Post 85918)
Can anyone point us in the right direction for finding out more information on the Beneteau Moorings 38? We looked at a 1990 M38 for sale and are having a hard time finding information on this boat. It has a shoal draft of 4'11". I understand that these boats were made for the Moorings company to be used as charter boats. The boat we are interested in was purchased by one owner from the company seven years ago and has been upgraded and refinished beautifully.

Was the M38 the same as a First series with a different keel?

Any comments on sailing abilities? Construction quality?

We like the spaciousness and condition of this boat, but my husband is concerned about his Weds. night racing and slightly concerned that the build quality may not be as good as the First series. Any comments would be appreciated.

I just purchased a 1992 M38 that was lying down in FL and brought it up to Michigan. Her survey was good and she appears to be in good shape except for the liner is falling down with a little black mold behind it. Other than that, it came with 11 bags of sails and a good race record that I will try and maintain when I'm not cruising. It is a First 38 with a differant keel I was told.

fsp421 01-04-2011 03:34 PM

I own a Oceanis 381, 1999. We are thrilled with her. We did replace keel bolts two seasons ago.
Fred Polaniecki