Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007

nickvh is on a distinguished road
3/8 BBB on an H3 in the bow

On a Beneteau 473 with a Lewmar H3 windlass - i want to put 300ft chain. Does anyone have experience of that much chain up there in the bow locker causing performance issues because 3/8inch BBB is almost 500lbs in weight and that sounds like a lot! I was hoping to use HT 3/8 chain wich is much lighter but the pitch is such that its not a good idea!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2007

avazquez is on a distinguished road
Big performance change......but safe

I added 200 ft of 3/8 BBB chain to my chain locker and it has changed the performance quite a bit. I lost about one knot of upwind performance. I would not add 300 ft since it is way to much weight. But of course the peace of mind at anchor is great.
Old 11-05-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Anchor and chain is so afecting performance that I remove everything (anchor, cahin, rope, roller battery and windlass) off the boat for racing season. And I only have 15 meters (50 feet) of chain, the rest is rope.

My anchor weighs 24Kg (50 lbs). And its enough for my crusing needs. I have a secondary 14Kg one in case I need a tendem set up.

If you think in terms of momentum...you will have 6 or 7 tons load there.
Old 11-06-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvh View Post
On a Beneteau 473 with a Lewmar H3 windlass - i want to put 300ft chain. Does anyone have experience of that much chain up there in the bow locker causing performance issues because 3/8inch BBB is almost 500lbs in weight and that sounds like a lot! I was hoping to use HT 3/8 chain wich is much lighter but the pitch is such that its not a good idea!
Much lighter?

I assume you mean hi-test instead of HT, as actual HT of the same size as BBB would be far (unnecessarily) stronger.

If you really need 300', the solution here is to use HT (that's high tensile - G70) of the same or slightly better SWL, but truly much lighter than equivalent hi-test G40 (let alone BBB / G30). You'll need to look at switching the wildcat, talk to Lewmar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.