Beneteau Warantee Trobles - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter

Smile Beneteau Warantee Trobles --RESOLVED--

thanks for your input... BENETEAU assisted in resolving my issues.

Last edited by jg91604; 06-18-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Saw your photo on another website. It's an iron keel, how do you get blisters on it. Looks like the paint's peeled off a bit. Grind it clean, a bit of epoxy to protect and paint.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter

Rick, thanks for your reply. Yes this is an Iron keel. The keel is not just painted Iron, but has an epoxy fairing. This FAIRING must be stripped off, the metal preped, epoxy, fair, prime keel and repainted... the estimate is $3,956.00!
post #4 of 16 Old 11-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

I think the yard saw you coming. It is not unusual to get some spotting, grind it out, epoxy, don't know if it needs fairing, and paint. Don't think you'll get a whole new keel out of Beneteau.

Rick I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter

Rick, I am not lookng to Beneteau for a keel replacement. Beneteau warantees the hull/keel. I only aattampted to get someone from Beneteau, even a dealer, to inspect it whileit was out ofthe water. Rick, Beneteau waratees the hull/keel for 5 years, this boat has been in theaterless than 3 years! If it were yours I am sure you wouldn't just shrug it off.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

Thats insane that they won't contact you. I have been on the fence about buying a new Beneteau previously. Its stories like this that make me say "no way" and I am glad I didn't buy one . No matter what the problem is, no matter how large or trivial, it should be addressed immediately by Beneteau if the boat is under warranty. I certainly won't be giving them any good words if someone asks me. Frank Butler doesn't treat his customers like that. He calls them personally.

Great men always have too much sail up. - Christopher Buckley

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 11-25-2007 at 09:15 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

There's always two sides to a story. I wouldn't let a post like this deter me if I were seriously interested in buying a Beneteau. There are many stories of how Beneteau has amicably dealt with owners that have had warranty issues.

Rick I
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group

Rick I

post #8 of 16 Old 11-25-2007

What amazes me is that upon looking at the pictures, Beneteau's response was frivious. One would hope that a builder of boats with iron keels would recognize this for what it is and not blow off a customer.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-25-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

For whatever reason, I don't believe those few vendors who use iron keels attempt to put a permanent finish on them. They spray them with some gelcoat or thin fairing so they look good when delivered, knowing that a few years of use in salt water will lift the finish. Within say five years, it will all be gone, 100% period, that's just the way it is. I would expect if you asked a Beneteau dealer directly about the what to expect for an iron keel he'd tell you - refinish it with epoxy within 3-4 years. If you cover it properly, the situation will be fixed pretty much permanently.

If you were to get a straight answer from Beneteau, what they would say "it is NOT a defect, what did you think would happen with an iron keel in salt water, happens to all of them,,,"

When I bought a three year old Beneteau in the late '80s it had some rust spots on the keel. I stripped the keel completely, put 5 coats of West system on, and when we sold the boat three years later, the keel still looked new . A few years later I ordered a new R19 from Stuart in Maine, to race one-design. As the keel is steel, I specifically asked Stuart not to finish the keel at all, knowing whatever they put on, I'd have to take it off. The keel came bare and I did the usual, and mandatory, epoxy-coating, even though the boat was brand new.

This is not a hard job, just messy and time consuming. $4,000 for a yard to do it is a reasonable estimate. you can do it yourself for $100, and say 20-30 hours of work.

This situation is the reason I suggest avoiding steel keels - but it is a cosmetic problem that can be easily corrected = just don't expect the builder to do something under warranty they chose not to do when they built the boat. Frankly you should have anticipated this situation when you bought a steel keel. Fix it and enjoy your boat, its otherwidse a nice product, in all honesty I don't understand why they do the iron keels anymore...I've never seen one that didn;t rust unless well epoxied.

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-25-2007 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter

Thanks SAILINGFOOL... I appreciate your wisdom, makes me feel more comfortable. But, fresh water is much easier on the faring and steel. Would you expect this from a fresh water lake boat also? Of course, still think Beneteau has dropped the ball.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.