Fuel tank for First 42 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 04-05-2009
Old as Dirt!

I wish I had an answer for the inaccuracy issue. Unfortunately, the gauges are nortoriously inaccurate. We use ours as a rough indicator only and rely on the hour meter and our consuption rate. I can tell you that we have motored many hours past the point at which the gauge says empty without running out of fuel. (I don't recall ever adding more than about 32 gallons to the tank.) I suspect Espar can give you an average burn rate, which is likely very low in any case. (We run a Panda 4.2K generator that only uses 1/10th of a gallon of fuel an hour.) One thing we do is keep a 5 gallon jug of fuel in the life-raft revetment and add that once we've gotten down to indicated empty, just to be on the safe side.

Adding fuel at sea can be a bear so I carry a tube with a little squeeze pump, similar to the pump on an outboard. We heave too, steady down the yacht and for all intents and purposes siphon fuel into the tank through an in-line filter and water separator. Thus far we've not had a problem.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 11-19-2014

Re: Fuel tank for First 42

Hello HyLyte,
I tried to send you a PM, but unfortunately, I couldn't post it because of newbe...I'm Karl, Beneteau first 42 1982 owner, since 10 years. Fantastic sailing machine, especially in light airs. But now we have a real problem with our fueltank, so my question How can we clean our tank? IS there any possibility to get into the tank for cleaning? Is it an option to make a hole in the side bulkheads port or starboard? Or can we use a manhole in the tank , or a levelindicator hole? ore what ever to clean the tank? or by making a hole true the cockpitfloor to reach a mannhole of the thank? is ther some compartimebtation inside the tank? All information is wellcome.
MAny thanks in advance.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-10-2014

Is there anybody who has removed his old fuel tank and and maybe has some pitures of the tank?
It can help us to decide what we can cut away, to reach some flange or something.
thx in advance
post #14 of 17 Old 12-10-2014
Old as Dirt!

FirstLady--

I regret that I have not responded sooner but, these daze, I don't visit this site too often as the BS Coefficient is nearing unity and I have neither the time nor interest to bother with it.

N'any case, there is no "easy" way to get at the fuel tank in the First 42 short of removing the engine and getting at the securing tabs through the fore'n aft inspection ports in the sail locker on the starboard side, the forward inspection port on the port side (unfortunately often blocked by the placement of the hot water heater) under the quarter cabin berth and, aft, through the port lazarett locker which will require maneuvering over and around the steering quadrant. (Frankly, I don't know anyone that's managed it.)

If you are certain the tank needs "polishing", one approach is to fill the tank with fuel and a good treatment such as BioborJF, let it sit for a few days, then "polish" the fuel by threading a 1/2" "pick-up" line through the fuel filler tube and attaching a return line to the fuel pick-up fitting on the starboard forward lower corner of the tank (behind the engine) after disconnecting the fuel line to the lift pump. By recirculating the fuel through a couple of filters for a day or two with this arrangement, you should be pretty good to go. Putting together a fuel polishing system consisting of a fairly high speed pump coupled with a pair of Racor filters (say a 30 Micron leading a 2 Micron) bolted to a mounting frame really isn't/won't be that costly and should do the job nicely. There are other approaches but the foregoing should work.

FWIW

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #15 of 17 Old 12-15-2014

Hylyte,,
Many thanks for the usefull information.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-25-2014
Cruising

I had to move the tank rearward last year when we replaced the shaft log. happens we had the transmition out to replace the chutches so I had a little more area to work..
But durring the process I was toying with the idea of building a larger tank for fuel and how it would go in..
Just some Ideas.....
If you look into the quad area behind the tank from the starboard side locker you can see a few inches between the tank and the tubes for the cockpit drain.
So if the floor of the area below the gridwork in the cockpit was cut across the bottom forward of the tubes, up the sides to the support ridge and forward around the front, the section should come out.. dont cut up into the support rail but just below the rail..
Because the area below the cockpit floor is tapered rising to the top, the tank should come out throu the cockpit..
Now glassing it back together..
A piece of marine ply can be cut to fit the rise at the rear giving a sump of a few inches where the tubes are.. the ply would rise to the floor (grid) level and another piece of ply under the grid area..
All areas could easilly be reached for glassing and epoxy and you havent changed the structure where the grid floor would set.. the floor would now be about an inch or two below the grid allowing for any water to run to the sump at the rear, with the origional tubes at the bottom of the sump..
If anyone has any ideas of pulling their tank without pulling the motor, give me a shout and I'll do a video of what I just described to you.......

Visit Our Site at SailingOnR3.com
post #17 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

Randyon,
It seems to be an interesting idea.
An idea where we allso were thinking abouth.
But I'm a little bit affraid to cut away the cockpitfloor and so lossing som stiffness of the cockpit , thath can lead to flexing drainholepipes?? and maybe leakage?
We are allso brainstorming abouth making a man/hand hole in the cockpit floor .
Changing the cockpit floor would allso giving some possebilities to enlarge the portside aftcabin. creating a real 2 persons bed.
If you have, i'm verry interesting in your video, ore pictures.
many greetings

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.