Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008

PaulOWindsor is on a distinguished road
Shorepower pain relief...is in sight !!

Group :

Have any of you noticed that Beneteau seems to think that all of us here "med-moor" like they do in Europe ??

Why else would they fail to offer an electrical plug at the bow ??

If you're like me...then you also just hate having to connect at the stern & then run it all the way forward, then "hope" you have enough cord left to make it all the way to the power post on the dock.

I think I've come up with a solution to this problem...but before I start drilling, I thought it best to bounce it by some of you for some second thoughts & varied opinions...

It goes like this...

We have 2 factory installed (male) plugs at the stern of our B361 & we have a yellow shore power "Y" plug that allows us to plug into a single shore-power cord.

Since West Marine sells the "female" plug that can fit into the stainless port as is presently installed at our stern...it got me thinking....

What I intend to do, is to install a single plug (as at the stern) in the anchor locker (port side) & run a power-cord under the port-side deck to the stern.

At the stern, I'll install an identical (but female) plug, so that I can plug the single end of the "Y" cord into it...& thus I'll have an "under-deck" extention cord !!

By doing this, when we need to plug in...I'll be able to connect at the stern with the "Y"...by plugging it into the "reverse plug" positioned just below the factory installed plugs. This will then connect the under-deck extention & I can simply run the shorepower cord from the anchor-locker to the power outlet at the dock.

So, this will be a permanent, out of the elements under the deck extention cord that will make plugging in a whole lot easier that the current "pain in the butt" nonsense we do at present, by running it from the stern, along the side to the bow & then over to the power box at the dock.

Pro or con, I'd love to hear your thoughts about this one...& my thanks in advance to those who respond.

P.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
My first thought is that your anchor locker has a high potential to be flooded with sea water on occasion - not good conditions for something like a power cord receptacle.

But I can see the attraction of having a more accessible mount (ours is on the cabin trunk just ahead of the cockpit - and still occasionally have trouble reaching the outlet)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-21-2008

ourdream is on a distinguished road
Paul,
First: Check that the double female end of your "Y" will fit on to the male outlets on the stern of the boat. Mine won't due the the housing.
Second: running the long "yellow" extension cord under the port side may prove very difficult, even if you use #10/2 w Gnd romex, especially from the AC/DC power distribution panels aft.
Why not just invest in a 30' yellow shore power cord. When occasionally faced with this situation where the cord wouldn't reach I've just connected the two cords together and only used the Air Conditioning power, living off DC.
We prefer to back into slips for ease of boarding anyway.
Try posting this at the Google Beneteau Group and you'll get more response, very active and almost 700 members.

Largest Beneteau group, over **698** members and growing.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
To post to this group, send email to Beneteau-Owners at googlegroups dot com
For more options, visit this group at http back slash back slash groups dot google dot com slash group slash group slash beneteau-owners
contact denny.wertheimer at gmail dot com if you have a list management question

Bob
S/V Our Dream
OC 351
Old 04-21-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We have a second shore power connection in the anchor locker.
It is in a receptacle box that is weather resistant just as the covers on the swim step are.
Down below in the cabin is a selection switch with, Shore power front or rear and off.
Our system was done before the boat was commisioned by the previous owner and was installed by an outside electrical contractor.
It is very nice to have the cord up in the bow and makes life very easy. My wife always asks, why do all these sailboats back into their slip? Shore power hook up is one of the reasons that many do.
We pull in bow forward and usually only have a small run of power cord to hook up. It really is a nice extra to have.
If your going to do this, I suggest you do it right.
Im not sure that running another power cord under the deck is doing it right.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-21-2008

PaulOWindsor is on a distinguished road
Bob & everyone else :

Well friends, I've had the rigging installed in the boat since early August & we couldn't be happier with it.

I drilled a small hole (just big enough) in the upper/port side stern fiberglass bulkhead of the anchor locker & fed the 30Amp power cord through the hole. After a fair bit of coaxing, we managed to pull it all the way to the stern of the boat where it was connected to the female plug.

I held my breath the first time we plugged it in...& just as I had hoped, it worked perfectly.

It has now been over a month since this simple simple system was installed in our boat & I just have to share with you all, just how easy this has made pulling into a dock & plugging in.

No more shlepping that 50ft cord from the cockpit locker ever again for me !!

Just plug her in at the bow & it's done.

What could be easier.
Old 02-21-2009

deniswfoster is on a distinguished road
hello,

would you have pictures of your electrical mount.

Thank you,

denis
Old 03-24-2009

serdeniz is on a distinguished road
Shore Power at bow

There must be installed a circuit breaker (around 30 amp - same value with the one at aft) in a watertight box in chain locker.

No need to lay the cable to aft. There must be a RCB behind the electrical panel or under seat inside. You can pull the cable here and make the connection to same terminals as the cable coming from aft resides.