SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Beneteau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/)
-   -   beneteau 281 rigging gennaker (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/44839-beneteau-281-rigging-gennaker.html)

cedarbay 07-09-2008 04:47 PM

beneteau 281 rigging gennaker

I am attempting to install a gennaker on our 281--Beneteau provided a padeye for the tack block but I'm unsure where to place it or to use parrel beads instead. Could someone please help.Thanks

Faster 07-09-2008 05:17 PM

If by "parrel beads" you mean the collar that's attached to the tack of the sail, it's meant to go around your furled headsail.

The tack line leads from there to the block/padeye you mention, and ideally back to the cockpit so you can adjust tack height from there. Lower the tack as your apparent wind angle gets narrower, and generally raise it as you bear away.

cedarbay 07-10-2008 11:15 AM

THanks for the help--Am I to assume that the padeye will be placed directly aft (how far?) of the roller drum and centered---Beneteau did not provide the collar (parrel beads-balls) --I spotted that in an article--My "guess was that they may have placed the padeye on the anchor mount to get the tack ahead of the foresail--does that make any sense at all??Thanks again. Chip

Faster 07-10-2008 12:08 PM

It's not necessary to use a collar, and if the padeye is ahead of the headstay (eg on the anchor roller assy) as you mention - and that anchor roller is strong enough for the job - that's the cleanest way to run an A sail like a gennaker.

Some prefer not to use the collar because it prevents the tack from moving off the centerline and can reduce the projection of the sail... not using the collar may reduce the stability of the sail a bit....

Collar or not, the padeye/block forward of the headstay is probably best.

JohnRPollard 07-10-2008 12:27 PM

Faster's advice is sound on this. Much better to get the lead for the tack line forward of the headstay.

[Here I'm assuming that by gennaker you are referring to a sail that is akin to an asymmetric cruising spinnaker. If you are actually referring to a gennaker with a taut line or wire in the luff, or one that is on a furler, then the advice below does not apply.]

Folks that are using a padeye on the foredeck (aft of the headstay), as an attachment point for a block through which they run their tack line, are usually doing so because the padeye was there in the first place as an attachment point for a conventional spinnaker pole downhaul. If you don't have the padeye, and don't plan to fly a conventional (symmetric) spinnaker, you don't need the padeye.

Also, the piece of equipment that you refer to as a parrel is not usually necessary if you have a true asymmetric spinnaker/gennaker. Sometimes it's helpful to have one, but they are more often used when someone is trying to fly a symmetric spinnaker like an asym -- i.e. without a pole.

cedarbay 07-10-2008 01:35 PM

Thanks again for the help--I think I've got it--I am talking about a asymmetric cruising spinnaker--I'll mount the folding padeye on the anchor roller assembly,affix the snap block and then run the tack line aft thru a unused spinlock stopper---Do I have it about right??

Faster 07-10-2008 02:23 PM

Sounds about right... if you find that the tack loads are difficult to manage direct, you could add a 2 part tackle on the front end... give you more oomph but you'll be pulling more line. On 28 feet you'll probably be fine, and if necessarry you can luff the sail to adjust the tack (or use a winch that may already be behind the stopper)

Enjoy the sail... it'll make a big difference on those light reachy days, and give you some thrills when it's windier.

cedarbay 07-10-2008 05:42 PM

Thanks again--I did add a port winch behind the stoppers for the tack line (Beneteau calls it a tack strop ?) Is a 2 part tackle a block and tackle type combo? Perhaps I can try the sail out and then if I'm having trouble, add the 2 part ? Chip

JohnRPollard 07-10-2008 06:24 PM

As Faster noted, on a boat of this size, you should be fine without a two-part tackle. More than likely you won't be popping this sail in heavy air, unless you're racing.

The "strop" usually refers to a short, fixed tack line, rather than one that can be adjusted. In fact, that's how we fly ours. An adjustable tack line is a better arrangement, but we can still adjust asym luff tension from the top by taking or easing halyard.

svenusa 05-08-2009 04:00 PM

Figure this out ?

Did you figure out this padeye/tack question ? I am also rigging an assymetric for my 281 now too and have the same question. I was thinking of just using an ATN tacker and a block tied to the anchor roller. I figured that using the tacker would mean that i am not placing much load on the roller anyway..

Thanks,

Sven