Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009
Beneteau 473

xcbxer is on a distinguished road
If your propshaft seal is a Volvo, it's a triple lip oil seal design with no moving parts - very smart and simple, with a water pick up and discharge below the WL. To burble you squeeze/deform the lips.

Volvo also recommends annual lubrication with lubriplate AA-130 white lithium grease and replacement every 5 years. I bought a spare seal from Syselios, it came with a bit of grease. Later bought some "OEM" grease separately for $10+, it was also only a bit. So next time I will be looking for a large cartridge from a generic source.

You shove the grease under the lips while deforming/squeezing hopefully on the hard. Presume this would be more of a challenge in the water.

2005 B473 Lake Ontario
Old 04-20-2009

jbad is on a distinguished road
Hello

I am a new member, that recently bought a 2002 Beneteau 473.

I live in the Middle East and the boat is a great boat for sailing in the local waters. Lot's of room and sails very well.

One small question, that may seem dumb. The boat came without a power cable for shorepower. When I look on the web or in local stores, they question whether I need 15 amp, or 25 amp?

Also, are the male and female plugs the same on all boats, or do I need to worry about the power cable fitting the female shorepower plug that is in the boat?

What is the difference? The boat did not come with an owners manual, but I was able to print one from the internet, although a 2004 version.

I want to be sure that I have the proper cable to match the boat.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Jbad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Look inside your boat outlet, there should be marked 30Amps or something different. As a general rule, if you have those computer plug, it's most likely to be a 15Amps plug, but certainly will not fit your boat requeriment. If you have a round 3 plug, it's a 30Amps. The 50Amps arrangement usualy uses a 4 pin. Pay attention if you have heavy loads installed (i.e. aircon). Look at WestMarine catalog (Marinco products) for pics and find one matching yours.

As a last tip, open a separated thread, this way more people would be reponding ... I'd recommend to open it at Gear&Maintenance section of Sailnet.
Old 04-30-2009

migpilot is on a distinguished road
4th battery switch

Does anyone know the function and purpose of the fourth battery switch all of the way to the right viewing aft. On my install I have a (left to right) master negative, starting battery, house battery and one final red switch with no marking. It busses a very large cable through a heavy duty fuse but I cant trace it out. I do know that when it is selected on on shore power it cuases the battery charger to overcharge the ships batteries. I have an email into Ward Richardson but no answer yet.

Cheers,

Marc
Old 04-30-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Any chance it's for a bow thruster, anchor windlass or even electric sheet winches? Turn it off and see if there's anything that would require a lot of amps that now doesn't work. The windlass or thruster would be my first choices.
Mike
Old 04-30-2009

Thanks Mike,

Yes my first thought was the windlass as there is no bow thruster. When I get out to it later I will check that. Winches are wired through breakers directly to the house buss.

Marc
Old 11-02-2011

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
It is for you battery charger / inverter. Does not really do much just isloates it. I'll post my electrical layout on my 473 for you
Old 11-02-2011

473 electrical drawing

I have a 2006 Beneteau 473 here in the Chesapeake Bay. I like to understand how the systems on the boat lay out so I will often use simplified schematics to help me remember how this all ties together. My 473 is a stock electrical system and I have a Westerbeke 7.6 genset with it.

I spent a fair amout of time this summer reading all the component manuals, talking to owners and mfg reps, and tracing my electrical system. I was able to construct this diagram for my boat.

I have 5 switches. Negative (just isolates the systems when turned to off), Diesel start, House, Inverter, Genset start battery. These are tied together with a Freedom Marine 20 charger / inverter, Xantrex Link 1000.

The genset system is completely seperate and the genset start battery is charged by the alternator on the genset. Then the genset puts power onto the AC buses (through a manual transfer so I cannot put shore and genset on AC bus at the same time) and the genset can supply the batter charger to charge the other batteries.

My anchor windless and electric winch have circuit breakers right next to the battery switch. I'm still looking for the breaker for the bowthruster (project for when I put the boat in storage and all the beding is out of the forward cabin). The bowthruster and windless are linked in with a relay to the diesel so I cannot operate either of them unless the diesel is on line.

That inverter switch really just isolates the charger / inverter for when you work on them. No battery connected to it. And you can see from the diagram that the charger / inverter ties in on the battery side of the house switch.

My house and diesel batteries can be online in parrallel if I need to.

My normal set up is genset switch ON, inverter switch ON, house switch ON, diesel battery OFF, Negative ON. The freedom marine 20 has an echo charger that is hooked to the diesel start battery. So I typically leave that battery isolated. The echo charger keeps a trickle charge on it so I don't over charge. I start the diesel with my house batteries. Benefit is I rarely ever change my switch line up and the diesel battery is there fully charged all the time in case of an emergency and my house batteries are dead.

See the attached chart. Hope this helps. Love my 473. It was a great investment for my family
Attached Thumbnails
New Owner 473-skylarker-electircal-jpeg-version.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011

Sorry guys. Just noticed that this thread was from 2009! Likely you have figured all this out by now. Was only a page or so in so figured it was a recent post.
Old 11-03-2011

473 Elecrical system

Yes it was from 09 and I too have sice created a schematic much like yours (not as polished), but thanks any way. We also love our 473 and have cruised on it extensively on the great lakes every summer. Your boat has some things we'd like to have (Thruster and Genset) but we have found that we really don't miss them much since getting used to handling her in tight quarters. Time spent on the hook is dealt with with three lifeline 4d's and a Honda inverter for back up. I built a leece neville 150 amp alt along with a balmar 3 stage VR which works wonderfully along with the AGM's. We have a westerbeke 63c with PYI feathering three blade. Wind is handled with North 3dl cruisng sails and a 155 genoa, an asymmetrical with a sock and snuffer for DW. Thought about buying a sense 50 this fall but after looking at what we have versus what we'd get for over a half MIL, we decided to stick with "ozymandias".

Cheers,

Marc