Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Rudder failure on new OC43s

Guys, I own hull #64 and waiting for hurricane season ends to bring my boat down here. A friend of mine, OC43 hull #66 went from Charleston to Bermuda last week and had a severe rudder failure on fiber lamination near rudder post. Have any of you heard or experienced such failure ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2008

Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
OK, just spoke to the owner that had a stop into Bermudas. As far as I understood, there is an assembling mistake done at ruder post upper bearings. As per owner told me, Beneteau changed the original project and designed another collar around ruder bearing, but it should had to be filed with epoxy glued to the hull, but production is skiping the filling part, leaving just a collar around the rudder post not bonded properly. Another OC40 inspected and has same missing epoxy filling. Those two boats are taking pictures and talking to Beneteau, and once I have it will share. Owner told me also that Beneteau has never ocurred such rudder failure before and indicate this is an isolated case. Anyway, OC 43 and OC40 are under repair, and they are reinforcing the post bearings with epoxy.

Last edited by negrini; 11-30-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Negrini....thanks for posting this. Very critical info!! If you would like to compose a separate "Alert to Beneteau Owners" with the specifics, I will be happy to make it a sticky note for all to see.
We can also post Beneteaus response there once it gets sorted out.
Old 11-22-2008

Great Cam, once I have real stuffs (photo, papers, etc) will post here then we decide and invite Beneteau (I know sales guys) to post response. I hope to have it in a couple of days ....
Old 11-30-2008
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
Photos?

Negrini,

Thanks for the heads up!
Do you have any photos?

-franc
Beneteau 43 hull 53
S/V Can Drac
Old 11-30-2008
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Warning

Sailnet might be at risk of a lawsuit from Beneteau if this thread isn't promptly removed.
Old 12-06-2008

The failure is anything particular to the OC43, as OC40 have same system and same mounting. The only explanation my friend got still points to an isolated case. So far, Beneteau did not provide any official communication about the rudder failure on hull #66, but issued a Service Bulletin to increase the resilience at upper rudder post bearings. I don't know if such bulletin apply to every OC series, or from a specific number, neither if this is a specific to these boats. Anyway, my hull #66 is preventatively under service, despite not showing any sign of failure.

So far, nobody reported any analisys on what happened. We don't know if the system was damaged by the autopilot engaged under heavy load, nor if the boat hit anything submerged, or this is a design/mounting failure.

Check here the failed rudder. The upper post became loose, so skipper attached a line, disconnected the autopilot, in order to not further damage the rudder system.

Note the loose upper bearing. The mirror shows behind, in a difficult spot.

After repair started, you can see the upper collar removed. Note how it was pulled out of original bond to the hull.

Now, new bearing is re-inserted, but its void around it, will be completely filed with epoxy to increase the bond to the hull.

Note the epoxy mask on the wood. At least, looks far more robust.

Final touch. Another plastic ring screwed to the wood, brings even more hardening to the original system.

Old 12-12-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for posting this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-08-2009

deniswfoster is on a distinguished road
Question B-43 Oceanis rudder

Hello,

Do you have more information on this rudder problem for example the service note from Beneteau?

I have hull nį77 and I know other Oceanis 43 had problems with the fixation of the tablet for the autopilot that gets loose.

Thank you for your help

Denis
Old 02-13-2009

Sorry, but I have the service note just for the bulkhead that gets loose from the rudder system. Drop a call to your dealer, as this problem is very easy to repair by reinforcing the upper bearings. We had another 43 and one 40 with exact same failure !!