Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009

sunol1212 is on a distinguished road
OC40 or OC43 and recommended upgrades

Trying to convince myself buying a boat is a good idea in this economy and thinking of getting an OC40 or 43. I am a coastal cruiser with a family of 4. Any one want to share their thoughts on deciding between the two and which upgrades/customizations you owners recommend?
I am thinking the 40 is more than enough boat for the weekend sailor that I am, but the extra space 43 is nice and gets the approval of the Admiral.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
First, consider your kids gender. I did opt for a 3 cabin to accomodate boys and girls. Some reports says 43 has a beter boat-balance than 40 and 46, so its more stable and faster. Regarding upgrades, I installed 3x 180A batt, and one 12KBTU aircon (so I can run from my E20i Honda). Change saloon table bolts for a through bolts with washers and nuts, this is the only way your table will not fall. I found fwd cabin locker a bit small, so I share space with my boy's locker. Aft head is electrical for kids, but I maintain fwd head manual just in case. In mast furling is my choice as I trade perf for confort. Installed a wisker pole for wing-and-wing (one day I'll fly a small gennaker). External VHF mic is a must, just like an autopilot. A short bimini anchored on stanchions and stern rail, so no holes on deck, and handholds on doger made a very confortable and safe set. Ordered extra zincs and extra keys (Bene keys profile are not regularly found in mkt). Also an extra LPG tank. Think about water, 95gal is not enough for me, I'm installing extra Plastimo tank (not done). Service winch on top cabin is electrical, so more confort. Finally, financial diff for the 43 is not linear, you get more boat for less money diff (about 10%), and you'll enjoy the extra space/lockers as well.
Old 02-19-2009

Thanks! Great info.The waterline length on the 43 definitely appeals. Do you find yourself able to more or less single hand it? The wife will take the wheel from time to time, but for the most part I am handling the boat while she handles the kids.
Did you install an inverter and did you feel a need to do anything about a heater?
Old 02-19-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Same here, I'm always alone as wife care on our 3 little animals to not fall overboard or kill themselves. I found it particularly far more easy to single hand than any other previous boats due to deck/rig arrangements, also the large stern figure, make for a more stability. I mean, gusts not surprise me, and also furling mast gives me peace when changing weather. I feel boat very predicable, and some little action ahead minimize surprises. Previous boat had windlass switch at weels, and for twice I damaged the bow by handling it incorrectly, then wife is sometimes needed when leaving a windy anchorage. Otherwise I consider it 100% single handled. I decided not install this switch for now, but if I could educate myself for a more cautious use of windlass unattended at bow, I would feel more confident; I mean intall it if you are extremally cautious. Regarding inverter, Beneteau offered Xantrex 3KVA but this is modified sine wave (not pure sine) and I have some sensitive arrangements (TV+iPod touch+BoatTheater, etc) that prevented me to use it. I have the Honda EU2000i, and I'm very confortable using it eventually for microwave, alternating with AC and eventually charging batts. I have not decided yet, but firing the genset just for a popcorn is tiring me, but I'd use another inverter instead, pure sine. 1.5KVA - 2 KVA is sufficient for the microwave, but I melted several inverters before, realizing that this must be overdimensioned (say 3KVA). We live in tropics averaging 100's almost yearound, so never considered a heater (except for the waterheater). Regarding waterline, some reports say the ration waterlineXbean is much beter on 43 if compared to 40 or 46.
Old 02-19-2009

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2009

deniswfoster is on a distinguished road
Hello,

We are a family of 6 and have an Oceanis 43 3 cabin. It sails very well single handed.
It needs minor improvements to become a realy good family cruiser.

We are installing a mastervolt mass combi 100/2500 charger inverter.

Denis
Old 05-07-2009

wardv is on a distinguished road
If you're looking at comparing dimensions, have a look at Sailboat Listing select both boats and click on compare!