Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009

pipemma is on a distinguished road
Oceanis 43 vs Sun Odyssey 44i

Hello, I hope you don't mind a newbie diving straight in and asking for help.

I know Beneteau v Jeanneau is the oldest of old chestnuts... Nevertheless, we have an opportunity to buy one of other of these boats through a charter company ownership deal. We are fully aware of the "cost" side of production boats operating on charter, but effectively deferring running costs for 5 years works for us financially and, above all, gives us the opportunity to advance our life(style) plans by at least 5-10 years.

The very long term dream is to spend 6 months of the year on a/the yacht and 6 months in the mountains. Short-term, a few weeks a year is all we can manage anyway, and medium-term, a month or 2 at a time is conceivable. We would want to be based in the Med, but with the ability to head to the Canaries/Madeira occasionally or even a once-in-a-blue-moon transat, so in terms of usage a production boat should do everything we want.

So, given the rambling above, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of either of these two fairly new models (or indeed their predecessors)? We have the opportunity to view both this weekend so will be able to have a look at initial build quality for ourselves, realising they've not been around long enough yet to have a built up a history of durability or otherwise... Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We bought a Beneteau 43 in the fall and love her. She's fast and comfortable. This is our 4th Beneteau so that should tell you something, we like their boats. We always like the lines of the Jenneau and looked at the 44 at the shows but just didn't care for the quality of the materials in the cabins. Thought the woodwork looked cheap and was mis-matched. Also thought the ergonomics of the cockpit were less than that of the B43. Haven't sailed the Jenneau so can't comment on that aspect of it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-16-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I also did compare the 44i against OC43. If you look deep, you'll find several cons for both, but there are more pros for OC43. Don't look for 3rd part products (wiches, instruments, etc) as they're manufactured by someone else, but rather compare the lines, design, ergonomics, etc. At the end, the astonishing bright, clear, illumiated saloon is something that we felt in love on ours.
Old 04-16-2009
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
We were considering a Jeanneau 39i when we learned of the new Beneteau line. Thank God we didn't go with the Jeanneau! We waited a bit longer and ended up with the Beneteau 43. We are currently about to go transatlantic with it. We've been cruising full time for the last 3 months and are very happy with our choice. Here's a few reasons we liked the Beneteau better:

- Design: both deck lines and modern interior
- Comfort details: like the companionway doors, stranding shower, indirect lighting, etc
- Price (Beneteaus are assembled in the US, cheaper than importing from Europe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys - not to throw a wrench in it - but what's up with the interior liners in Benes. I love the boats - but everyone I've looked at ('90s vintage) has sagging liners. Have you guys dealt with that? Is is a problemmatic/expensive fix?
Old 04-16-2009
October Moon B43

Beneteau got away from the liners some time ago, in the late 90s and beyond. Our 02 B361 had a fiberglass liner with wood strips to accent it. Our new B43 has a rigid liner with a vinyl type cover. I cant imagine it will ever delaminate.
Mike
Old 04-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool - thanks MJ.
Old 05-31-2009

pipemma is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the delayed reply but thanks for your help. We were able to see both boats in neighbouring marinas and we opted for the Jeanneau in the end. For us, we found the 44i more spacious (which is good if we eventually intend to spend more than a couple of weeks at a time on board), more airy, it had more handholds (with a view to being below decks at a heel) and the absolute killer was the Jeanneau had a proper chart table (I should mention that both options available were the 4 cabin/2 head version). The 4th cabin in the Beneteau also stole far too much space from the saloon in our view and the layout of the Jeanneau in teh 4-berth configuration was more versatile.
Old 06-01-2009
October Moon B43

Pipemma, congratulations and good luck with her!
Mike
Old 08-12-2009

sevent is on a distinguished road
charter ownership

Hey there. IN a former thread you mentioned "...We are fully aware of the "cost" side of production boats operating on charter, but effectively deferring running costs for 5 years works for us financially and, above all, gives us the opportunity to advance our life(style) plans by at least 5-10 years."

I am in the early stages of considering this route. Can you discribe/explain what you meant by "cost side of production boats operating on charter"?

How has the first season of chartering been going? Do you see the wear and tear more than you expected?

By the way, great choice in boat. I charter jeannes and really enjoy the (39i 44i and 49DS).

Thanks and regards,

Steve
stephencastellano at gmail dott caulm

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.