Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Anchor/Chain washdown pump

Hi,
How is your anchor/chain washdown installed ? What pump
you use and where you plugged to take raw water ? Any
description or pics appreciated.

Negrini
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
Hi,
How is your anchor/chain washdown installed ? What pump
you use and where you plugged to take raw water ? Any
description or pics appreciated.

Negrini
We don't have one but its on the list. My thinking is to simply have the pump mounted in the anchor locker with raw water intake being a hose I'll throw over the side. Provided the pump is self priming all should be good and no through hull. I've seen this done on plenty of cruising boats and no complaints that I know of.

I'm also thinking that power should be able to be taken off from the windlass supply. The cabling should be plenty big enough to handle both on the odd occasion both are used at the same time.

Nothing new here, but it is simple.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-07-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Deck Wash Pump

negrini,

Here are a couple of images of the installation that my boat uses for a deck-wash pump (not quite the chain-wash in the Amel style). This does add the versatility of complete deck wash though.

This image is the deck connection seen just outboard of the gooseneck fitting for mast wires. The deck fitting is a s/s female bayonet connection. A 3/4" (19mm) hose with male bayonet fitting attaches to the connection. An 8 meter hose with spray nozzle is used at the bow to hose off the chain and anchor.

This image is taken in the engine compartment. It shows the thru-hull for the seawater. The bowl (partially hidden by blue hose) is a strainer for the seawater. The bowl sits over a seacock - you can see its handle in the closed position at the base of the bowl. The brass el-bow connects to the 32 mm hose. The hose loops back (off image) to a brass manifold that serves both the deck wash pump and a cooling pump for air conditioning. In the upper left portion of the image you can see the pump wearing a 12 Volt tag. It is a FlowJet 50-liter per minute pump. There is a valve on the manifold in front of the pump that allows selection of either "seawater" or "water-tank" (fresh water). The latter is useful for a freshwater rinse of the anchor locker, or for dumping the contents of the water-tanks - pretty rapidly!

Hope it helps.
Old 03-08-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
negrini,

Here are a couple of images of the installation that my boat uses for a deck-wash pump (not quite the chain-wash in the Amel style). This does add the versatility of complete deck wash though.

This image is the deck connection seen just outboard of the gooseneck fitting for mast wires. The deck fitting is a s/s female bayonet connection. A 3/4" (19mm) hose with male bayonet fitting attaches to the connection. An 8 meter hose with spray nozzle is used at the bow to hose off the chain and anchor.

This image is taken in the engine compartment. It shows the thru-hull for the seawater. The bowl (partially hidden by blue hose) is a strainer for the seawater. The bowl sits over a seacock - you can see its handle in the closed position at the base of the bowl. The brass el-bow connects to the 32 mm hose. The hose loops back (off image) to a brass manifold that serves both the deck wash pump and a cooling pump for air conditioning. In the upper left portion of the image you can see the pump wearing a 12 Volt tag. It is a FlowJet 50-liter per minute pump. There is a valve on the manifold in front of the pump that allows selection of either "seawater" or "water-tank" (fresh water). The latter is useful for a freshwater rinse of the anchor locker, or for dumping the contents of the water-tanks - pretty rapidly!

Hope it helps.
wow !!

So that how it should be done .....no wonder HRs have such good resale value....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-08-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
tdw,

Thank You.

Even so, I like your idea. Not cutting a hole through a perfectly good boat is always a good idea.

If you can mount the pump out of harm's way - dropping a pickup over the bow would work just fine. Remember though, that vertical lift is what most taxes a pump, so get a stout one.
Old 03-08-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
On our boat we have a Y-Valve on the raw water feed line for the forward head. When we're ready to hoist the anchor, we flip the valve which then feeds water to a 7.5 GPM Water Puppy controlled by a toggle switch in the chain locker adjacent to the water tight eletrical fitting for the windlass controller. A water line runs from the pump up to and then along the hull to deck joint behind the teak hull liner in the forward stateroom to a through-fitting on the bulkhead between the forward stateroom and chain locker. In the chain locker we have a coiled length of hose with a garden nozzle that allows us to wash down the chain as it comes aboard, and the deck afterward, and makes a pretty good water cannon for water fights with the kids when we're in an anchorage.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-08-2010

Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Amazing arragement Wayne. I like the simplicity TDW mention, but I envy your system ....
Old 03-08-2010

svHyLyte, I decided not install electric at fwd to have both system on board. But the idea of runing the hose from the head raw water inake sounds something between tdw and Wayne ... I'll take a look next weekend.
Old 03-08-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Ours uses the seawater from the thru hull for the salt water supply to the galley sink via a "T". The pump is a Shurflo Blaster with an automatic pressure switch (the bigger one, I think 4.0gpm). There is a line that runs both fore and aft, (pump and thru hull are about midships under the floorboards in the pilothouse) one terminating near the bow by the windlass and one at the stern on the outside of the cockpit combing for washing down the lunch hook and the dinghy (when I get the davits installed this year). Seems to be plenty of water to wash the chain, I've had very good service out of the Shurflo pumps.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-08-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
tdw,

Thank You.

Even so, I like your idea. Not cutting a hole through a perfectly good boat is always a good idea.

If you can mount the pump out of harm's way - dropping a pickup over the bow would work just fine. Remember though, that vertical lift is what most taxes a pump, so get a stout one.
Really ? I didn't know that. You mean that pumps prefer to push than pull ? Or were you being quite literal and meaning specifically lift ?

IIf not literal then JRD's idea of taking a feed off the raw water intake with a pump in the bilge (or thereabouts) makes a hell of a lot of sense. It doesn't overly complicate the thing , other than wiring to the switch.

JRD.......what did you use for the plumbing pipe ?

Probably on Raven we could still get away with the simple method as we are only 34' and lower in the bow than say a 40'er.