Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010

johnwblackhall is on a distinguished road
Creaks

I have a Beneteau from the mid 80ís, I love my boat, but I donít love the way she creaks and groans in a seaway. Iíve owned the boat for six years, during the purchase survey no structure problems were found, the creaks were present then (I sometimes regret my decision to buy her Ė but she a dream to sail). The basic issue is over the years joints have become loss, the majority of the interior being screwed together, screws have loosened, etc. A pervious owner ran beads of silicon where bulkhead join the liner, etc.. in an attempt to solve the problem Ė I assume. I am thinking of undertaking a campaign to tighten things up. Pulling the interior apart piece by piece, up sizing screws, gluing joints, etc.. I am also thinking running a bead of epoxy around the bulkhead/liner joint to stop any movement there. My one concern is introducing hard spots in the hull, but I donít really think this will be an issue with the liner construction.

Thoughts, comments, down sides, have anyone done anything similar?

Thanks John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
They all creak some ,mine will in rough seas beating & sometimes as temps increaase.Survey showed no problems but found most to be useless.Live with it imho even ships do it.marc
Old 07-20-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
John

I would live with it...many of these boats use a pan/liner and two structural rings to keep things right. Creaks and groans are fairly normal. And you may actually make things worse if you start attaching things to other things that should not be attached, especially with a non flexible thing like epoxy.

I was told that My 36CC had the ring just before the v berth another about midships and then a final one behind the engine and before the aft cabin. the pan then sat in this ring, the rings were bonded to the hull and to the coach house roof. Most of the interior sat on the pan and was the source of a lot of noise. This gave strength to the boat, the doors to the cabins were attached to this.

I would call the SC factory and chat with them, before you fix too much stuff..or at least use a flexible bond...the boat needs to flex, else something will break in a way that is not good.