SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Beneteau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/)
-   -   Looking to purchase Beneteau Oceanis 411 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/beneteau/71132-looking-purchase-beneteau-oceanis-411-a.html)

prroots 01-07-2011 03:53 AM

Looking to purchase Beneteau Oceanis 411
 
I plan to make an offer on a Beneteau Oceanis 411. I will do a detailed personal inspection and if things look promising proceed to survey in and out of water plus sea trial. Can someone familiar with this model advise me what to pay special attention to? I don't want to incur the cost of survey and haul-out, if I am able to find significant deficiencies on my own. I'm particularly interested in serious problems that may be expensive to repair down the road. As background, we had been focusing on the Sabre's, but now believe the Beneteau will give us a lot more boat for the money. We plan to do mostly coastal cruising with a trip or two from Virgin Islands to the States. Thanks
Pete

PaulOWindsor 01-29-2011 08:10 PM

Pete : I've created a B411 page in Facebook for 411 sailors...be sure to drop by.

There is also a B411 owners website & a newsgroup that shares information by emails.

Cheers, P.

prroots 01-30-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulOWindsor (Post 692420)
Pete : I've created a B411 page in Facebook for 411 sailors...be sure to drop by.

There is also a B411 owners website & a newsgroup that shares information by emails.

Cheers, P.

Hello Paul,
Thanks for the info.

We did end up buying the 2001 Beneteau 411 here in Kemah, TX. We are now doing a mini-refit after which we will sail her to Florida to complete the refit prior to heading to Puerto Rico.

Can you tell me the URL of the website you referenced? Haven't used Facebook before, so not sure what to do.
Pete

PaulOWindsor 01-30-2011 10:50 PM

Hi Pete : Have a look here...

Beneteau 411 Fleet News

As far as Facebook...all I have to say, is join up soon...there's too many folks involved with it, for it to be a bad idea !!

Cheers, P.

apueJbien 02-01-2011 06:21 PM

I am an owner of an Oceanis 411 which I purchased out of the charter fleet in the BVI. Your question is pretty general in scope, but depending on the type of sailing will determine what to look for in terms of equipment. Purchasing my boat our of the charter industry required immediate upgrades in electronics, i.e. Chart Plotter & radar, additionally we had to get additional safty gear such as ephir and liferaft. Mine is a 2002 model, which we love but my rigging needed inspection and repairs prior to cruising from PR to Trinidad. Last year before cruising to Vz I replaced my chainplates. They were badly damaged but I found some rust, so I opted to replace them. I just completed my three year survey and will be replacing mu cutlass bearing, zincs on my propeller and my lower rudder bearing. All in all no major repairs but depending of the age of the boat you are looking at these were my major items. Nothing major has broken while we have been cruising, but I am aggresssive with preventative care. I can share other info if you need it.

Since I've purchased the boat out of the charter fleet, my next project is to upgade my house bank to a 400AH system and install a H/O alternator and DCmonitoring/maintenance system. This may not be a concern for you. By the way, I love the boat for coastal cruising.

prroots 02-01-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apueJbien (Post 693402)
I am an owner of an Oceanis 411 which I purchased out of the charter fleet in the BVI. Your question is pretty general in scope, but depending on the type of sailing will determine what to look for in terms of equipment. Purchasing my boat our of the charter industry required immediate upgrades in electronics, i.e. Chart Plotter & radar, additionally we had to get additional safty gear such as ephir and liferaft. Mine is a 2002 model, which we love but my rigging needed inspection and repairs prior to cruising from PR to Trinidad. Last year before cruising to Vz I replaced my chainplates. They were badly damaged but I found some rust, so I opted to replace them. I just completed my three year survey and will be replacing mu cutlass bearing, zincs on my propeller and my lower rudder bearing. All in all no major repairs but depending of the age of the boat you are looking at these were my major items. Nothing major has broken while we have been cruising, but I am aggresssive with preventative care. I can share other info if you need it.

Since I've purchased the boat out of the charter fleet, my next project is to upgade my house bank to a 400AH system and install a H/O alternator and DCmonitoring/maintenance system. This may not be a concern for you. By the way, I love the boat for coastal cruising.

Thanks for the info. We just purchased our 2001 Beneteau 411 (2 cabin/shoal draft/in-mast furler version) here in TX. We just completed the update to our DC electrical system consisting of Xantrex TrueCharge2 battery charger (with remote control and temperature sensor), Xantrex Echo-Charge combiner, Victron BMV-600 battery monitor, and 4 golf cart batteries. We also modified the wiring by disconnecting the charger output from Start battery since Echo-Charge takes care of charging Start battery. Also moved B+ output of alternator over to House bank (was on switch common). We have a long list of projects, but they're pretty minor compared to yours. If you'd like to communicate further perhaps you can PM me with your email address.
Pete
PS we will be moored in Fajardo, Puerto Rico once we complete outfitting

apueJbien 02-02-2011 07:58 PM

Beneteau Oceanis 411
 
Interesting, Fajardo is my home port, but I'm on the hard in Chagaramus TT. My email is saccfd@yahoo.com.

Chkm8 04-21-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Looking to purchase Beneteau Oceanis 411
 
Hi .. Just doing more research looking for known look ats as I am hunting for a 411 .. sofar just online and telephone as I am at work in Belize till end of May so looking at every 411 not I can find .. Thanks Sailnet

prroots 04-24-2012 05:49 PM

Re: Looking to purchase Beneteau Oceanis 411
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chkm8 (Post 861496)
Hi .. Just doing more research looking for known look ats as I am hunting for a 411 .. sofar just online and telephone as I am at work in Belize till end of May so looking at every 411 not I can find .. Thanks Sailnet

We have a 411. Send an email to kd4p-at-yahoo-com if interested
Pete


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012