Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011

vamuscat is on a distinguished road
thank you Faster - Thank you Svhylite - Thank you all!! any more feedback is welcome and i will certainly contact beneteau.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
hylite brings up an important point about the liner integrity....I would suggest taking it to the next logical step...

in the Beneteau 36CC, that floor liner is then tied into two "rings" if you will - the fore one supports the fore peak door frame and tabbing as well as the deck assembly, the aft one supports the head door and the passage to the aft cabin door as well as the aft part of the center cockpit deck assembly. Since the 361 used the same hull as the 36CC, I would think a similar setup was used there, as well as the other Marion built boats. Check.

So, what does all this mean...if the bilge/floor liner adhesion to the outer hull has been compromised at those key places, more than likely so has the integrity of the bulkheads and those things they support.

If you look at the 36CC/361 liner it looks like a cupcake pan...more cutout than structure. So speak with the factory and an up to Beneteau surveyor...

all the best
Old 12-10-2011

jopos is on a distinguished road
I'm new to this site and my contribution may be well too late. I had the same problem with my F 33.7. We had a repair by a local shipbuilder consisting of cutting away the flat parts of the liner and laminating the strings to the hull. We had the problem in 2005 and are still sailing. The entire liner is part of the structure but cutting away the flat part doesn't degrade the strength if the stringers are well laminated to the hull. This kind of repair could also be done on this 473.
Old 02-14-2013
Oceanis 381

aquaholic is on a distinguished road
Re: damage after impact

I wouldnt be too worried about damage to the liner, also the guy is being up front with you so not trying to hide anything
Old 02-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Aquaholic, this thread is almost two years old. Hopefully the OP has made a decision on the boat by now. It would be interesting to get an update from him, though.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2013

R&J is on a distinguished road

I'm also looking at purchasing a Beneteau 423 and it seems that I may have the same problem with possible boat grounding and keel separation.

The bulb also looks like it's been repaireddamage after impact-keel-hull-separation.jpg

damage after impact-keel-bulb-possible-repair.jpg
Old 02-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Beyond deciding whether you are willing to buy a damaged boat, you have to consider how many may ever want to buy it from you. Be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
I'm also looking at purchasing a Beneteau 423 and it seems that I may have the same problem with possible boat grounding and keel separation.

The bulb also looks like it's been repairedAttachment 13483

Attachment 13484
The "Keel Smile" you illustrate is of absolutely no consequence. It is quite commonplace and results for a bit of flex in the joint. There is a little bit of rust staining which is also quite routine. Grind down to the iron and treat in the manner discussed in previous posts in this thread. The discoloration of the finish on the keel bulb may be from the repair of minor damage/scraping. As the profile appears to be quite consistent I suspect it is also of no consequence. To get a better idea of whats so, pull the floorboards in the vicinity of the keel in the salon and take a look at the tabbing between the hull liner and the hull and the keel bolts. I suspect you may find some rusting of the keel bolts but nothing else.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-24-2013

R&J is on a distinguished road

damage after impact-copy-dsc02533.jpg

damage after impact-layer-under-saloon-floorboards.jpg

It does look like of separated 'tabbing' caused by hull flexing, between the hull liner and the hull and the keel bolts have no rust, I will post a picture for more reference.
Old 02-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

R&J... posting pics via a site like Photobucket.com is a much better way than the attached thumbnails. Free to join and lots of 'space', upload your pictures there, the copy and paste the IMG CODE option (important) and your pic shows up sized for the post (unless the original is tiny) for a better view.

Your shot is a bit small to be able to really see if that's truly separation.. in any event it doesn't look too bad from here...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)