Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Beneteau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011

vamuscat is on a distinguished road
damage after impact

Thank you for reading my post!!
I am currently considering the purchase of a 2003 beneteau 47.3.The owner declared to me that this boat has had an impact on the keel in 2008 which caused damage, and has since been repaired. This is true as i have seen the report of the boat yard, as well as the survey done afterwords which declared that it was repaired perfectly.
There are visible cracks in the layer just under the saloon floorboards, on the mid section between the center ribs port and starboard side of the keel which the owner claims were not repaired as this part DOES NOT FORM PART OF THE BOT STRUCTURE AND THEREFORE THESE CRACKS DO NOT INFER ON THE overall STRENGHT OF THE HULL. he also says that these were not repaied and left visible so as not to hide them from potential buyers. I have included pictures with this text so that you can see exactly the craks.
Can any one tell me if this part is structural and therefore if these cacks reduce the structural strenght of the boat?
Attached Thumbnails
damage after impact-036.jpg   damage after impact-035.jpg   damage after impact-031.jpg   damage after impact-032.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to vamuscat For This Useful Post:
anitamh (10-28-2013)
Old 04-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
hmmm, I call BS. They look awfully close to the keel to me.

So the impact caused it to crack, but it's not structural? And the keel was repaired? If you get in a fender bender and the rearview mirror comes flying off, don't they fix your fender and your mirror? I would think that would be the propper repair.
Old 04-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It does have the look of separated 'tabbing' caused by hull flexing on impact. I'd say you need another surveyor's take on this.. In what region of the hull were these pics taken?

If it turns out to be tabbing failure that could be a hugely expensive job for a proper repair.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-04-2011

thank you zz4gta......but do u think that the cracked areas are part of the boat structure or just pannelling?
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It does have the look of separated 'tabbing' caused by hull flexing on impact. I'd say you need another surveyor's take on this.. In what region of the hull were these pics taken?

If it turns out to be tabbing failure that could be a hugely expensive job for a proper repair.
They are in the mid section, just rear of the keel.....
Old 04-04-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Most of the Beneteaus have a "pan liner" that sits above the hull and makes contact at certain points and has adhesive there....it looks as if the liner has cracked at the perimeter of those adhesive points...

I would personally speak with Beneteau and then have a conversation with a competent surveyor who understands Beneteau construction.

It could be as simple as cosmetic sealing these cracks in the liner.....that would be my guess from the pics....OR the boat needs some major repairs.

YMMV
olddog60 likes this.
Old 04-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamuscat View Post
They are in the mid section, just rear of the keel.....
On a relatively high speed impact with a keel boat, usually the major damage is done to the hull immediately aft of the keel... While the single skin hull can absorb a lot of flex (and flex it does, upon impact) the act of flexing can cause the secondary bond of the liner (whether glassed-in or glued together) to fail. The flexing is worst there as the keel 'rocks' on it's rotation axis.

As kd3 points out, a Beneteau-savvy surveyor and or Beneteau themselves can better address the truly structural aspect of this damage. But this is precisely where one would expect to find the most severe (and mostly out-of-sight) damage to the hull in such an event. Fixing the divot in the keel is the easy part.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 04-04-2011

you are right... thank you...How does one go about contacting bebeteau themselves? throgh their web page there does not seem to be a contact email...
Old 04-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Try this:

Welcome to Beneteau

Old 04-04-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
It is difficult to make much of a judgment as the specific locations of your photos in reference to the hull is unclear. Note, however, that once bonded in place, the hull liner forms an integral part of the structure of the hull and is not simply installed for convenience sake. Liners are typically cut away between floor beams—the “ribs”—to reduce weight and allow access to the exterior hull skin before being installed. The installation is done with epoxy based adhesive while the hull itself is still in the mold and "green" so that the bond between the liner and hull is both adhesive and cross linked chemically. Generally the exposed edges of the cut away portions of the liner are ground smooth and bi-axial glass tabs are laminated across them and to the hull skin itself. The seller's representations to the contrary not withstanding, the "ribs" formed by the liner, and particularly in the vicinity of the saloon floorboard are absolutely an important part of the structure, particularly so considering the suspension of the keel in this location. Hence “cracks” are important and they are not repaired by merely stuffing epoxy filler between the hull and the tflange as appears may have been done in the third frame.

Unfortunately, bashing the keel into a solid bottom—like a rock ledge—is not unknown. In such event, the keel rotates forward and down, pulling the forward end of the keel away from the hull and forcing the back upward and into the hull. Of course, the hull distorts and, with enough distortion, the ribs are torn away from the skin of the hull. Is it fatal? No, not unless the hull skin is breached, but the strength and stiffness of the structure are compromised.

Before going further with this yacht I would put a call in to Beneteau USA and get yourself a consult on the matter.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."